Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Staining drum shells

I'm re staining my Slingerland drums.They are a mahogany finish.What I would like to know is can I do the interiors with the mahogany stain.They are a chocolate color paint on the inside of the shells now.I want to strip the inside paint and stain the inside or just put a clear gloss coat on the inside.I have heard that a gloss on the inside helps the drum projection.It's harder to not paint the interiors,but I can do it.I want to do them right.Please help,Thanks, Mike.

Posted on 16 years ago

I say leave the inside as original as possible... If they were in bad shape then you can re-do them...

For most vintage guys originality is everything.

Sound was determined when the drums were built and to most people they have a great sound. I think the interior decision will not greatly change the sound.

Others might have a better ear then me, but when I'm next to a snare and someone hits it, it is already pretty loud to me!

David

Posted on 16 years ago

I scored a pearl forum kit and my boss lined the inside with fiberglass... man they are loud and project real well

Posted on 6 years ago

If the chocolate color is original, I’d leave it alone. Otherwise go with clear.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here