Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Spitfire Tre Cool Set

Hello,

I have a used drum kit that is being sold to me by my brother. I would like to know how much to offer him. He has indicated they are medium to high grade drums. They have Remo (sp?) heads, new, and these heads appear to be readily available in music stores.

I looked around your web site, and have registered but am unable to locate any useful information. I could be these drums are too new for your site.

The dual badges located on the top of the bass drum are diamond shaped reading “Spitfire by Slingerland” and a square that states “Tre Cool Signature Series” with no serial number anywhere on the kit. The kit is solid green. These are in good condition overall with few or no mars, etc.

I appreciate any input you can provide.

Chris

Posted on 15 years ago

.....ummm......well.........that particular kit was not a mid to high grade kit. With that said, there is some 'uniqueness' to it. The name endorser factor accounts for something. My hesitation is this: I'm the guy that wrote an open letter to Tre several years ago that ended up being published in a well known "modern" drum magazine. Let's just say it wasn't a gushing fan letter. We probably shouldn't meet, Tre and me. So, the kit is worth something, but not much. If I'm not mistaken, it was an import kit and such. Unless there is nothing else around - at all - I wouldn't recommend purchasing it. You could get better drums for just a little bit of scratch.

BUT ... this is a family deal. I don't know how wise it is to get in the middle of a deal between brothers, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Posted on 15 years ago

Yes, I understand. He suggested $250 w/o cymbals. New it listed in 1998 for $949. Tre does sound a bit radical. It also includes 12 and 13 inch toms.

He has suggested $25 a cymbal for a Sabian thin crash, Zildjan crash, and a Paiste Full Ride, and unidentified hi hats. They all appear to be in good shape.

I don't want to get these items from him too cheap you know.

Posted on 15 years ago

Judging by the sound of the level of the kit, I would think the cymbals wouldn't be anything special either...probably entry level ones.....I wouldn't spend too much on all that. $200 tops....maybe....

Posted on 15 years ago

The cymbals are:

Zildjan 14" "A" Custom Crash

Paiste 20" Full Ride Alpha

Sabian 16" B8 Thin Crash

Unmarked hi hat. Fairly thick 14".

I think the first two are good ones?

Posted on 15 years ago

From Drum Kit Kit

The cymbals are:Zildjan 14" "A" Custom CrashPaiste 20" Full Ride AlphaSabian 16" B8 Thin CrashUnmarked hi hat. Fairly thick 14".I think the first two are good ones?

The A custom is about the only one worth picking up. The others......you might get $50 total for them at a music store on trade in....not really good cymbals at all....

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the input Ludwig Dude. I wonder about the ride though. It has a lot of thick brass and seems like it would be quite expensive. When I play it the volume picks up for about 6-8 beats and ends up quite loud, with a harmonic starting in. I like it but it does get louder than I want as a ride.

What would you suggest as a higher pitched ride that does not increase so seriously when riding that brass man...

Posted on 15 years ago

From Drum Kit Kit

Thanks for the input Ludwig Dude. I wonder about the ride though. It has a lot of thick brass and seems like it would be quite expensive. When I play it the volume picks up for about 6-8 beats and ends up quite loud, with a harmonic starting in. I like it but it does get louder than I want as a ride.What would you suggest as a higher pitched ride that does not increase so seriously when riding that brass man...

Well.....I usually don't give advice in choosing particular cymbals, since its such a personal choice. What may sound good to one person may sound bad to another. Plus it all depends on what kind of music you play. The Alpha is a mid-line cymbal at best. Try out as many cymbals in person as you can and let your ears and mind make the decision for you. Only you will know what you like. Me personally, I was an A Zildjian guy for years......now I'm digging the K Custom Dark series.....like I've always said (and others) trust your ears.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here