Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Speed Kings-do NOT use...

Mobil 1 when re-lubing the pistons and springs!!!

I enjoy re-building Speed Kings, no secret. JUST finished one and mailed it today. It didn't feel right, but I couldn't figure out why. I took that damned thing apart five or six times, re-seated bearings, sanded pistons, etc etc. I concluded that since I haven't played in a while, I just lost the feeling of them.

Then today one of our own, who wants me to work on a SK, told me he'd used Mobil 1 grease and felt it had gunked it up. Well, the one I sent out today? The first I'd used Mobil 1 on the re-build.

So thanks to him, the one I was just 'working' on, I was about to put in the grease, and felt the stuff I'd been using vs Mobil 1. Sho' nuff. I've been using the same can (!) of generic synthetic 'heat proof' grease for years, and will now go back to using it!

Jeez! Mobil 1, I'm sure, is great stuff, but not for Speed Kings!

Posted on 11 years ago

I use red fifth wheel grease !i

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago

Interesting Bill. I then thought the how temp is warm and it's gummy what will it be like when it's cold? LOL glad to know I'm not alone in my thinking. It can be a scary place sometimes. Laughing H

I look forward to sending this to you to work your magic on it!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

If you can find it----Moviola /Magnasync grease is an intermittent movement grease, designed for sprockets and the like on celluloid film transport mechanisms. I don't know who made it for Moviola but I'm sure it is still around under some name. I have had a can of it since the 1960's and it is unparalleled for footpedals---all the back and forward movents----it doesn't gum or harden, it movesback and forth with the mechanism, and it lubricates anything.

Posted on 11 years ago

Calf I could not find that brand but would something like this work?

http://slideproducts.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?skucat=439

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Can't speak for SK's,(i mite be only one on planet who doesn't like em)

but on sprocket drive pedals, Finish Line, synthetic chain lube for mountain bikes CAN'T be beat.

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 11 years ago

The Movieola sounds cool, but obscure. The Finish Line stuff sounds great.

Thanks!

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here