Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Speed King restoration -- any pedals, really

I know there's plenty of info about how to restore Speed Kings. I've rebuilt and restored many, many of them. I have the tools, the paint, the experience. Hell, why do it yourself? It is painstaking and it does take time.

[FONT="Tahoma"]A few years ago I began restoring Speed Kings just for fun. The I began to restore for others. I did a lot of them. Pretty soon I had too many, started to get slow...and eventually (with a different job, etc) just folded.

But I've retired and have the time. And I'd love to get started again.

For a Speed King, Gretsch, Slingerland, Ghost, whatever pedal or hi hat rebuilds or restorations, I'd like to take it on. I used to have a pretty good reputation for meticulous work -- and that's because I really enjoy the craft. (Pedals were "Fultonized") (;)

Speed Kings are a specialty -- and all of them need it! The minimum job is to completely clean the towers, springs, bearings-- all mechanicals --, and then replace the squeaking pedal hinge with nylon/composite material. Honestly? Better than new.

If needed they can be modified, too. I once modified a Gretsch to fit the larger bass hoops on the house kit at a famous Tokyo jazz club!

Cost? A basic mechanical cleaning and hinge upgrade is about forty bucks. For the full monte- original Hammerite re-paint, polish, TLC to the max? About eighty. To replace parts, a very fair cost. Customize?

Why not?![/FONT]

Please send a PM thru VDF, or call 269-200-3019 to talk about it. You will not be disappointed. If so, I'll make it right. Guaranteed.

3 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Glad to see you are doing well! I may be calling you in a couple of months. A few years ago I cleaned and re-greased my SK but it could use some of your meticulous attention. It has a lot of play in the heel joint.

-Justin

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Posted on 6 years ago

How did you get it so dang clean. Polish it or sand blast it make it look like that

Posted on 6 years ago

Highly recommend sending Bill any pedal. great works and very reasonable. He returned me WFL Speed King to it's original condition and I use it all the time now.

Posted on 6 years ago

Good news.

Posted on 6 years ago

Hi, Sinclair -- glad to hear the WFL is still on the road. That era was a great one for materials and build. Thanks!

Brewkoski -- bring it on! I can do a 'me hanical only' job for you. No painting or general spiffing up, but it works great! Plus, less $.

Drummer 123 -- all kinds of stuff. That part is a challenge. It's some of this and some of that. I haven't found an easy way!

Patrick -- thank you.

Posted on 6 years ago

I've been spending a lot of time working on stuff (it's cooler in the basement).

So I have on hand fully reworked:

Slingerland Yellowjacket -- this is an amazing design and build. Smart, and they spent the $ on construction. Underrated.

Ludwig Speed Master -- very light, vintage cool, packs easily. At that time, if you couldn't afford a Speed King, this was it!

Gretsch Floating Action -- it'd go nicely on a restored kit. Definitely. Good looking, great player.

Send a PM, or call 269-200-3019.

Out of town 6/5 - 15.

Posted on 6 years ago

I've been playing a straight-board Slingerland Yellow-jacket for months now. I'm in deep drum-love with it. Excellent and silky smooth pedal. Powerful stroke with not much effort. I had one of my students over the other day and after a few moments behind the kit he asked me, "Hey, what is this pedal, it's GREAT!" I agree, those old straight-board Yellow-jackets are GREAT pedals. Mine came with two pedals, the straight-board and one with a standard heel joint. They're built like Sherman tanks.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 6 years ago

John -- I am still jealous that yours came with TWO footboards. ;)

Man. I'd love to fit a one piece on those machines.

Bill

Posted on 6 years ago

I love the work you are doing on the speed kings they actually look better than factory. I do a similar restoration over here in the UK. I restore the premier 252 which are to me simple to strip down and work on. Some people cant work out how to strip them down. I used a few SK pedals over the years but now as a nearly 60 yr old ive moved onto the double iron cobras. Still have some vintage pedals from yester year but they dont compare nowadays to the IK. Just wanted to say great job you are doing.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here