Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Speed King "Spring Tension" Cap Screw removal-Any thoughts?

Greetings,

I got set to begin my restoration work on this today when I noticed that the outside of the "upright" is slightly bent on the right side (where the screw is still in place-see the flat spot on the outside right near the base where the tension screw is). Because of this, I'm having a heck of time getting the screw out of there, because the slight flat spot where the post is bent is just interfering enough with the path of the screw. As you can see, it's very close to the top, but I can't quite get it that last little bit. I'm dousing it liberally with spray lubricant and I'm using a large screwdriver so I can get lots of torque.

Any suggestions on what I might do?

Thanks

V

1 attachments
74.2 kB
Posted on 6 years ago

UPDATE:

I just got it. I used my brute strength (LOL) and between that and all the lubricant it finally worked.

I assume that I won't have as much trouble when I go to re-install them, just because everything will be cleaner and freshly lubed.

Posted on 6 years ago

That`s cast, don`t try to hammer that dent out, that`s when they break.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 6 years ago

> I used my brute strength (LOL)

Other than what you did, I was going to suggest you find a Man. LOL I'm glad you muscled it off - sometimes it takes brute strength to get some of those old drum parts to come apart after years of rust and who knows what else.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 6 years ago

My favorite penetrating oils for stuck parts:

KROIL

Sili-KROIL

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here