Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Speed King pedal question Monroe and Chicago.??

I have a busted up pedal frame that I believe to be a Speed King frame that I was going to use for parts. I just noticed this is Monroe N.C. manufactured pedal.

My other two complete Speed Kings have Chicago caps.. except one is missing a single cap.

I was going to pull a cap off this Monroe frame and stick it on the good Chicago pedal till I just noticed the difference in the cities on the caps.

First question.. should I do that?

Second question.. if not a mistake, how the heck to you get those caps out without damaging them?

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

I have no idea about dealing with those caps. Personally, I have owned several SKs and I have never found the need to remove those bearing caps. Instead, I prefer to remove the bottom screw caps and springs and bars and then spray WD40 into the holes and alternately working the axle back and forth and then dumping out the dried grease/WD40 slurry until it starts to look not-so-grungy. Then, I submerge the entire assembly in some mineral spirits. After everything is good and clean, I would put a little motor oil in place of the grease and re-assemble the thing. Let it stand somewhere so any excess oil can leak out. Taking out those bearings and re-packing them is more of a headache than it's worth, in my opinion. Too many times, those caps get bent. Plus, WD40 does everything and fixes everything! ;)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks O-lugs,

I saw that you had posted that very "slick" (pardon the pun) method for cleaning the SK pedals in an earlier thread and planned to use it on the one complete SK I have.

My dilema on this other pedal is one missing cap and it looks like my parts donor doesn't match... guess I'll keep watching the bay till a Chicago SK cap washes up in somebody's auction.

(This was the pedal I wanted to trade for the Ludwig Junior pedal.)

Thanks again for the great clean tips... no teacher like experience!!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here