Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Speed King noob

I see that the most recent post is pretty much the exact same question as mine but I registered for this forum for the sole purpose of asking about my Speed King so I'm going to ask it anyway Cool Dude

So I too just bought my first Speed King on eBay and upon first receiving it, it just didn't seem to live up to the hype right away. It feels very... sloppy? I've heard people say that it should sort of feel that way, but mine is also not very 'springy'. I don't feel much resistance or bounce when I push down, even after fiddling with the screws in the bottom of the posts. I basically have to push my foot down, then pick it up, and repeat to make a full stroke. I took some pics this morning, albeit not very good ones. They're from my cell phone and were taken in a bit of a hurry. I'll try to add more later...

http://img508.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=speedking01.jpg

By the way, if anyone has any idea how old this might be, please feel free to take take a stab at it. I'm a layman when it comes to these things, and new to vintage gear in general. The footplate says WFL but the little caps facing outward at the top of the posts say Ludwig. I know they were sort of associated at some point but from my reading up it seems there was a WFL version and a Ludwig version, so I'm not sure why mine has both names.

Anyway, I really wasn't too shocked at the condition of my pedal, seeing as I paid around $20 for it (I guess you get what you pay for). The beater that came with it was bent forward for some reason, not sure if it could have been made that way for some reason. Also, the little toe clamp on the bottom doesn't seem to screw down far enough to clamp on to my bass drum hoop, so I've had to put a small piece of wood under the screw to make it fit (although loosely).

But other than those things the pedal is actually in decent shape, and I don't want to give up hope that I may be able to restore it, although I've really never done anything like this before. I may try to use some of the suggestions from the previous post; remove the screws on the bottom and remove the springs, put them in paint thinner? Then clean out the inside of the posts with a cloth (would a pipe cleaner work?). I've heard several things about re-greasing/oiling the insides. Motor oil? 3-in-1 oil? Some other kind of lubricant? And do I need to 'fill' the posts completely with lube, or just a little bit? Would it be possible/necessary to replace the springs altogether?

I'm probably starting to ramble, but any suggestions will be mucho appreciated! Thanks!

Posted on 15 years ago

I haven't used one in a long time but I do recall that by screwing the adjustment screws on the bottom clockwise it was possible to get it to the point where anybody would think the resistance was too much.

If you can't then something is not right - the springs being worn out comes to mind, although I've never heard of it but it is logical and I do see them for sale.

I recall that same problem with the clamp not going down far enough. If there's still some "available" threads when it bottoms out you can sometimes slightly bend the wing bolt wings upward a bit and remedy that, although those type of wings can break off so be careful. An alternative would be to glue something like a rubber pad on the kick hoop. The piece of wood might work better on the hoop than under the adjustment screw.

I used white lithium grease on my springs... I didn't absolutely pack them but I goobered them up pretty good.

TriFlow works great on all the rest of the pivots, it's spray teflon and I prefer it to WD40, 3 in 1 or any other petroleum type lubricant, but they will all work.

As far as motor oil... I recall several times when a pedal squeaked at gigs, going out to my car, pulling the oil dipstick and letting a drip or two do the trick on the pedal. Unless you walked to the gig you have some oil there!

I always had to loosen that screw/washer on the bottom of the pedal that lets you choose how the heel works, and put a small piece of cardboard in there, and then tighten it up so that the heel part wouldn't rattle.

There's others here who could date this much better than me... my guess is late 50's.

$20 is a steal.

Posted on 15 years ago

I think the SpeedKing design is a great one! It's still my favorite pedal and I have just about all the current hot pedals. The thing about the SpeedKing is that it's somewhat non user-friendly to work on.

Generally, the old SeedKings can bind because the grease they used to lube it, originally, gets old and hardens. At that point, it needs to be cleaned and re-lubed. You'll get a few different stories about how to do that.

You might be able to check it by removing the bottom tension adjustment screws and then spraying some WD-40 (it fixes everything!) into the tubes that hold the springs. Some of the flecks of old grease will dissolve and start coming out. The springs may fall out, too, so be aware of that and make sure you put the pieces all back in the proper order. Once it's cleaned, you can re-grease. But, I have heard tell that some people used motor oil to re-lube the shafts. The only caveat is that the oil will leak out. The grease will stay put.

Some people like to pry off those little chrome caps on the upper section of the tubes. I've never done that and I think it might be a little bit daunting for a newbie.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here