Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

special resonant mount for floor tom?

I have a 1966 8 lug 14" Slingerland floor tom straight legs. Now fitted with remo thin clear on bottom and coated ambassador batter. Being a small drum I know it is limited but no matter how I tune it, it is still somewhat choked. Will this special mount give me more resonance or is it a waste of money?

World Max DSS 1414F Drum Support System w/ Legs

This store is fairly close to me:

http://www.indoorstorm.com/World_Max_Dss_1414f_Drum_Support_System_Legs_Chrome-p-3463.html

Thanks,

Jimmy

1968 Slingerland Red Sparkle
Posted on 14 years ago

i just had the same problem with a rg gretsch floortom.

to get it ringing either:

pin big (around 2 inches wide) styrofoam balls on the legs, or:

get these pearl "air suspension feet" ( they dont look quite vintage but work very good)

http://www.drumshack.co.uk/uploads/images_products/2542.jpg

your local drumshop can order them or order somewhere online

cheers

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Try playing it on different surfaces...see if that has any effect (hardwood floor, tile, rug, very thick rug).

Probably the new rubber feet would be the way to go. If that fails, then it is likely there's something funky going on with the bearing edge.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

All excellent suggestions.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

As usual, you guys have come across with some solid ideas - Thank you. I have experimented with the surfaces and have now decided to place an order. I will get the Pearl "feet" as early as Monday for pretty cheap. Read several great reviews, one said "best simple/cheap mod ever". I will report back here of course.

I have asked a bunch of questions here and ALWAYS get quick and useful responses. This forum rocks!

Jimmy

1968 Slingerland Red Sparkle
Posted on 14 years ago

I have one of those worldmax type mounts. Because the drum rests on the gaskets, it doesn't really have the same effect as a RIMS type mount.

It's for sale if anyone needs it...I used it for a "hanging" floor tom.

I find that Slingerland 14 x 14 floor toms have a lot of resonance...

I'd try re-tuning and maybe those iso rubber tips for the legs...

Posted on 14 years ago

I had an earlier rims mount similar to the world max and hated it,the pearl product is great,I have heard that floor tom legs with a bend in them promote more resonance, the wider the better.When you say choked do you mean tapped off? Like the drums statrs of well but dies quicly but evenly? Try picking up the drum and holding it by the rim and striking it,if it is resonating well it is probably ok and the the pearl tips will probably do the job.After you get them if you have some wider/bent legs you could try them to see if you get further improvement.The other thing you might check is the reso head,on 15" plus floor toms I always have trouble with tuning ,resonation if I have a diplomat thickness head as a reso,and some 14,s have given me trouble with a dip reso,so I use a ambassador reso and that seems to work much better.

Posted on 14 years ago

You might also try a medium reso head. Going too thin on the reso can choke a drum. I'm told that the ideal is to have the batter and reso heads vibrating in sync, which won't happen if the reso is a lot thinner than the batter... though you also want to avoid using a 2-ply head on the reso, as this too will choke it. The consensus seems to be that Ambassador-weight heads work best.

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago

i just solve the same problem with my new 60ish slings, by getting modern bent legs (cheap) ,....it solved my problem

Posted on 14 years ago

I have this same problem with my Leedy floor tom. It has straight legs as well.....I purchased a couple of different kinds of replacement feet to experiment, as the foam rubber pads under the legs were not that practical in regular use. I tried out the Pearl REGULAR R-5 feet, not the air ones as those looked just too goofy for my taste. The regular Pearl R-5s were better, more resonance than the regular tips (which were original and seemed to be petrified when I finally removed them!) but not like it is when you lift it off the floor. So I also ordered a set of the Gibraltar "floating feet" # SC-FFT......they seem more like regular looking tips, but incorporate the Pearl air feet idea. BINGO! These things work great! No difference in sound now when the drum is held by the rim in my hand or sitting on the floor on the feet!

No need to buy replacement legs or fancy RIMS mounts! And these were about $6.00 plus shipping off of ebay. The Pearl R-5s were about $4.50 off of ebay. I'll keep the Pearls around as spares, but I highly recommend the Gibraltar tips as they work and don't look as goofy as the Pearl air tips. BTW, the heads are Remo Fiberskyn 3 ambassadors top and bottom tuned medium....has a nice deep Krupa type floor tom sound now.....think I'm off to play along to Sing, Sing, Sing...... :D

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here