Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Source Of Supply For Duco Lacquer????

In the following thread...

[HTML]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108&highlight=duco+back[/HTML]

Webmaster David said...

Duco is back and most car painters can do a great job with this type of paint job.

I have called the major supplier of auto paints here in Tucson and he has Dupont lacquer but he did not say or could not say it was Duco. From my research on the web, Duco was discontinued in the late 1960's to early '70's. Apparently, Dupont Duco lacquer is still available but under another name and only in Asia. So the question is, if Duco is now available in the U.S., where do I find this finish?

Posted on 16 years ago

"Duco" is NOT a brand of paint or a kind of paint...it is a STYLE of paint. "Duco" actually is short for "Dual Color".

David was merely recommending that an auto painting shop would know how to APPLY the paint. It could get a bit tricky for an inexperienced painter to apply the Duco colors properly.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Here are some articles from which I originated the question.

http://www.chemheritage.org/pubs/magazine/feature_duco_p1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duco

Follow-up questions would be...

What kind of lacquer was used for non-wrap drums and who was the manufacturer of the lacquer for Slingerland and other mfgrs. prior to 1970?

Didn't Slingerland offer a solid black paint model in the 1960's along with the two color Duco's?

Is there any historical record on the kind of lacquer Slingerland used?

Or, was the finish applied using two colors actually lacquer or some other kind of paint?

Posted on 16 years ago

Well, whadya know? I was misinformed about the meaning of "Duco". I stand corrected. I was told it pertained to the application of the secondary color and that definition seemed to make reasonable sense to me -before the great and powerful Wikipedia/Google came along! ;). I now see that it is a combination of Dupont Company.

I guess I have nothing else to offer in regards to the rest of your questions, but I reckon someone here will eventually.crying2-07

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Usually when us drum guys refer to a Duco drum it is that the drum has a two tone paint scheme. Regardless of what the word means technically the general [COLOR=black][FONT='Times New Roman']consensus[/FONT][/COLOR] is that a Duco drum is two paint colors and not a Dupont Company drum....x-mas3

In regards to paint, the paints they used in the 60's are in most cases not the paints they use today...

This particular topic has been discussed on this forum and you should probably PM TommyP since he knows a lot about the technical aspects of paints...

:2Cents:

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Yeah, I think everybody is right on this. I think in the drum world, Duco probably did mean 2 colors. While in the paint and finishing world, Duco referred to Dupont's car finish product. Thanks to everyone for their input. Your time is appreciated.

Posted on 16 years ago

Nitro-cellulose lacquer is the stuff you are after. Am currently trying to track down someone in my neck of the woods who is good with it.

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here