Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Sounds of a trap drum kit

Hi guys

I'm interested in hearing what trap kits from the 20's, 30's & 40's sound like

and what people's opinion of those types of kits sonicly,

Things like Chinese tom toms, old big belled cymbals, wood blocks of the era and other things I don't even know name of

Sound files, links and general opinions wanted

Posted on 14 years ago

I use a 10" Chinese tom and I love it. Who knows what year it is... it looks the same as what Ludwig, Leedy or the rest sold for several decades. It's actually the drum that started me on calf heads because gig after gig it was the best sounding drum on my set when I was using plastic heads on my other drums. It's got a tacked on head and for some reason always sounds good and in tune. The tone is pure without peaks. I have a trigger on it 'cause I sometimes use an Alesis D4.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the input, how is the tom in comparison with your snare? Is it similar volume?

Just found this which answers some questions

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCKEHoJaER0[/ame]

What are those 4 mounted things he hits at the end? they sort of sound like wood blocks to me

Posted on 14 years ago

From jonutarr

Thanks for the input, how is the tom in comparison with your snare? Is it similar volume? Just found this which answers some questions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCKEHoJaER0What are those 4 mounted things he hits at the end? they sort of sound like wood blocks to me

thank you so much for posting this , way COOL!!Yes SirCool1

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

From jonutarr

... how is the tom in comparison with your snare? Is it similar volume?...

I would say it's similar. Since there aren't the obnoxious harmonic peaks I hear in calf, calf heads always sound to me a bit softer than plastic. You can play the drums harder at gigs and you don't have to hold back on the volume as much, which makes it easier to get into it.

Also, when you record a kit, the mic placement is super crucial. If it the mic was pointed to the snare it will pick that up louder than a tom. As soon as you mic any kit and play it back it's now an electronic kit. And when you mic a kit the sound becomes a marriage between the kit and the mics.

It's often overlooked at how much difference the mics make. People are always talking about Ringo's sound, which probably had as much to do with the Neumanns as the Ludwigs.

So I always take the sound on YouTube with a grain of salt. It means almost nothing. People today are judging old K's from mp3's that were probably recorded with a $20 computer mic. Also, over 1/2 of a cymbal's sound is above 100KHz which you cannot hear but there is substantial info out there that we can feel it, and that's never recorded.

In 2010 we do not have the technology to accurately record and playback a cymbal. No matter how much money you have it cannot be done in 2010.

Posted on 14 years ago

From jonutarr

Thanks for the input, how is the tom in comparison with your snare? Is it similar volume? Just found this which answers some questions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCKEHoJaER0What are those 4 mounted things he hits at the end? they sort of sound like wood blocks to me

The wood block things are called Korean temple blocks.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the replies

From MastroSnare

It's often overlooked at how much difference the mics make. People are always talking about Ringo's sound, which probably had as much to do with the Neumanns as the Ludwigs.

I agree, Ringo's sound also has to do with the analogue recording gear they used, the tea towels they used on the heads & the room sound of Abbey Road studio

youtube can be helpful but sometimes deceiving, I upload a vid me playing my Gretsch Catalina's and the drums sounded similar but the Funk Istanbul HH's sounded better! I always heard they were great to record with :)

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here