Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Sonor Wood Snare, c.1965, 4 1/2X14"

A very enjoyable morning & afternoon was all it took to refurbish this Sonor 4 1/2 X 14" snare, Multi-Brilliant Finish Gold, MG. I found it extremely filthy & rusted. The wrap cleaned up much better than I ever expected,... the metal parts are now clean, but very rough. All working parts are in order, & the snare sounds great. I need one small part for the strainer,.. the front disc cover of hard Black plactic/rubber. (Please contact me if you have this odd part). The catalogs of the Sonor Museum do not show a 4 1/2 X 14 But rather a common 5X14" D471 snare. (This seems to be too big a different to be accounted for by the translation of metric & English specs ). Pics: before & after

4 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Terry,I have a friend that may have one to sell. Email me i will let you know...Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Trixon and Tromsa both would entertain orders for custom drums----wrap, sizing,accessory packages,muffling adaptions------if it was within the bounds of their normal possibilities. There are quite a few examples of this when it comes to Trixon(i.e. a SOLID SHELL, Trixon snare drum!!) and I do know of one instance where a man walked in the front door of Tromsa and ordered a custom drum to match a kit that had been made over 10 years prior.Perhaps, Sonor was no different. Such is the beauty of family run businesses.

The wrap on yours ,simply catalogued by Sonor in Germany as Gold and offshore as Gold Ripple must be the rarest of those 3-D satin flame type wraps that Sonor used but certainly the most beautifull. What a prize that one is.

Posted on 12 years ago

From tdennis

A very enjoyable morning & afternoon was all it took to refurbish this Sonor 4 1/2 X 14" snare, Multi-Brilliant Finish Gold, MG. I found it extremely filthy & rusted. The wrap cleaned up much better than I ever expected,... the metal parts are now clean, but very rough. All working parts are in order, & the snare sounds great. I need one small part for the strainer,.. the front disc cover of hard Black plactic/rubber. (Please contact me if you have this odd part). The catalogs of the Sonor Museum do not show a 4 1/2 X 14 But rather a common 5X14" D471 snare. (This seems to be too big a different to be accounted for by the translation of metric & English specs ). Pics: before & after

I believe 4.5x14 was the usual (i.e.,standard) size of the D471.

Also, that cover was usually chrome over metal (zinc) alloy.

Good luck in your search.

IMO, the D471 is a nice, light-weight snare with not much projection or tonal depth, particularly when compared to Sonor's next generation Phonics... a major step up in quality... or to the later Delites. My analogy would be VW Beetle compared to Mercedes Benz. The analogy applies to design and build quality as well as performance.

I'm speaking as the owner of all three. If I could have only one snare, I'd be perfectly happy with either the Phonic (reissue) D516 or the 14x5 Delite [FONT="Arial Black"]over[/FONT] my three RKs, two RB Gretsch... even my beautiful Premier Royal Aces!

The "Horst Link Era" which began in the 70s, initiated a quantum leap in quality for Sonor.

Ron

Posted on 12 years ago

I've seen both black fronts, & chrome, & wonder if the chrome fronts were used w/ a chrome cowling, & the black w/ a black cowling ? I agree about the later snares, years ago I had a Phonic kit w/ a Signature 8X14" Bubinga snare, & it was incomparable in sound & quality.

Posted on 12 years ago

!4x5 was the normal D471 in the flame era !! The Floor toms ended with the 1/2" numbers. The 65 drops were mostly flame and marble, and the throw would have the black plastic cover !! as someone mentioned, the chrome cap came with the chrome caseing !!

If the edges were re-cut it is possible that 1/4 of each edge happened !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

From tdennis

I've seen both black fronts, & chrome, & wonder if the chrome fronts were used w/ a chrome cowling, & the black w/ a black cowling ? I agree about the later snares, years ago I had a Phonic kit w/ a big Bubinga snare, & it was incomparable in sound & quality.

Yes, My cowling is chrome over plastic.

(My treasured Phonic "bop" kit below.)

If you don't mind my asking, why did you get rid of that snare and do you regret it now?

Ron

2 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

From royal ace

I believe 4.5x14 was the usual (i.e.,standard) size of the D471.Also, that cover was usually chrome over metal (zinc) alloy.Good luck in your search.IMO, the D471 is a nice, light-weight snare with not much projection or tonal depth, particularly when compared to Sonor's next generation Phonics... a major step up in quality... or to the later Delites. My analogy would be VW Beetle compared to Mercedes Benz. The analogy applies to design and build quality as well as performance.I'm speaking as the owner of all three. If I could have only one snare, I'd be perfectly happy with either the Phonic (reissue) D516 or the 14x5 Delite [FONT="Arial Black"]over[/FONT] my three RKs, two RB Gretsch... even my beautiful Premier Royal Aces!The "Horst Link Era" which began in the 70s, initiated a quantum leap in quality for Sonor.Ron

What would the reason be for the catalogues to show those as 5 x 14 , drums?

Posted on 12 years ago

The "Horst Link Era" which began in the 70s, initiated a quantum leap in quality for Sonor.

Ron[/QUOTE]

It also coincides with the cessation of Trixon production and about 700 skilled designers and drummakers going and looking for jobs elsewhere, in their field.

Sonor was well behind Trixon in almost all aspects of drum mfg. at the time and their fortunes were rescued by 1) A cash injection from Hohner and 2) a sudden increase in potential markets due to Trixon's exit.

Clearly their production would have to increase and they would need more employees to accomodate that.

I admit that this is speculation but it does seem obvious that such a scenario would likely have taken place.

Posted on 12 years ago

From calfskin

What would the reason be for the catalogues to show those as 5 x 14 , drums?

Who knows?

Perhaps the catalog's 14x5" listed dimension refers to the overall depth, including the rims.

What I do know is my drum's shell was not cut down and it is 4.5" deep.

Judging by the overall proportion and the space between lugs and rims, the drums pictured in the '65 catalog appear to be the same depth as mine.

Ron

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here