Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Sonor Teardrop 3 ply x 6 ply

Hello,

I am asking for an advice regarding 3ply /with rerings x 6 ply teardrops. I have option to buy 3ply shellset in great condition - however I am rather planning to use them for gig situations and here comes dilemma. Mostly I am playing acoustic (non amplified) jazz music and I am curious whether the 3plies drums are suitable for such settings. I am not saying that I need that super high pitched bebopish sound (think of Roy Haynes), however I still dig the sound of drummers like Mel Lewis or Tony Williams - so I would prefer the sound of medium to medium high tuning. Do you think that these drums are suitable for this? From what I have founded here on forum or on other drum related forums is, that the 6 plies have broader tuning range. Any thoughts?

Posted on 6 years ago

Hi,

I have a 3-ply kit, an old one, from ca 1958. These are great drums, but as you suspect, the superthin shells do not support high tunings well - at least, that is my experience. I tune the medium to medium low.

Also, these drums are not very loud, obviously. So if you need better projection/louder drums, the 3-plies are perhaps not ideal.

However, these kits are extremely hard to come by, so their wow factor is high.

/Magnus

Posted on 6 years ago

Either well work fine. Don't get to caught up in it, play both, go with what feels/sounds best to you.

Posted on 6 years ago

The 3 ply bass drum also has a tendency to go out of round or crack because the thin shells kind of buckle under the weight of the mounted tom. And the older Teardrop sets, the toms are mounted kind of off to the side. I've heard those 3 ply sets tuned fairly high, so I don't think the tuning is an issue, although in my experience the 6 ply sets are very easy to get a versatile sound out of with relative ease. Folks get scared off by the 13" rack tom but I can get it to the standard Blue Note sound with no hassle. Either way, they're great drums.

Posted on 6 years ago

From Jay_M

... And the older Teardrop sets, the toms are mounted kind of off to the side...

My set is a very early teardrop, with the tom mount centrally placed on the bass drum.

/Magnus

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here