Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Sonor swinger kit,different lugs to fit same holes??

I am redoing my kit and was going to go with replacing some of the lugs for looks only-they all function correctly but some are chipped etc.I even found a few places in europe that actually have some!! But as you know these stupid things are plastic and you know what that means!!! Why sonor would put plastic lugs on such maginficent 6 ply beechwood shells with roundover edges is beyond me?? It is the weakpoint of the drums!! I have heard that there are lugs that can just be changed out,they will fit the same holes and its an easy switch! So i want to do these shells some jusice!! does anyone have any experience as to which lugs will work?? Any help would be helpful!! Thanking you in advance,Andy

1966 kent jazzer-champagne sparkle
1972 sonor 6 ply beechwood jazz set
1971 fibes chrome over fiberglass rock set
Posted on 14 years ago

I have heard the swinger kits were an attempt to offer a less expensive kit,hence the lugs,and also that the rounded edges were less expensive to produce than the standard bearing edges.You might try http://sonormuseum.com/,to start.By the way what wrap are yours anyway? I loved some of the wraps that came with those.Also sonor made a less expensive kit later called the perfomers,they were 6 ply beech with round bearing edges maybe those lugs would fit(just thinking out loud here)

Posted on 14 years ago

well,not glad about the lugs,but glad about the bearing edges!! They are the same type gretsch used.Gives it a warmer tone(in my opinion) will check on those performers! thanks for the reply,Andy

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi Andy,,The sonor set you have has lugs made of Plastic,these are very hard to come by,if i recall right the sonor lugs from the 60s should fit the holes that the plastic lugs used...mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

The regular phonic or performer lugs will not fit....been there tried that. There are some aftermarket lugs out there which will fit. I believe that Gerd at stdrums.de has an aftermarket lug with the same spacing. I have looked at them before. There are others too but it's been a while since I looked.

The main problem is cost, you have a pretty cheap set, albeit with solid beech shells if they are in good condition. It would not be something you could regain your investment on but I believe you could get a good result and a nice sounding set of drums if you wanted to keep and play for yourself.

My two cents.

Posted on 14 years ago

i got this kit pretty cheap because some of the lugs are not so great and along the line they took off the wrap and finished the wood,but thats showing age too! i got these because the shells and bearing edges are in really nice shape!!and because of the legendary beechwood shells! i set them up today and played them and they sound really nice,even with the crappy old evans heads on them!So now i am going to strip them down,send them to my friend who is a professional wood worker!! have him sand them and refinish them again and then put on good lugs and heads and keep these bad boys!!! luckily he will not charge me for the woodwork,,lol so thats a plus!! you cant put a price on the sound a legendary 6 ply sonor beechwood shells makes.and i will have a great sounding kit to take out for not too much money!! nothing new will be able to touch then for under 2-3 grand!!! not a bad investment??

Posted on 14 years ago

We will expect pics of the finished product!

My Swinger project has languished due to lack of time and money. Maybe you can inspire me.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Tons of generic lug styles at [COLOR="Teal"]drummaker.com[/COLOR] & [COLOR="Teal"]drumfoundry.com[/COLOR] - bowties, teardrop, Baltimores, Slingy, Pearl, tail-light, etc and the hole spacings are given in the description of the lug too FYI[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here