Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Sonor Swinger Kit-Nice Vintage Kit ?????

I have this sonor swinger set of mine and i am debating if i should restore or sell?? everyone tells me that the swingers were sonors entry level kit and not sure if they are worth restoring?? But the fact remains that these are the same famous 6 ply beechwood shells with the roundover edges that sonor is famous for,and they do sound nice!! nice vintage tone!! The person who had them before me stripped off the wrap and refinished them in the natural beechwood.Sonar swingers did not come in a natural wood finish,but to me it looks alot better(almost that european-scandanavian look?) than the wrap!And all I would probably have to do is give then a light sand and a light coat of whatever clear i wanted,because they look pretty good as it is! I am at the point now though,if i bought the wrap and rewrapped it myself,replaced some of the lugs(for cosmetics only) i would be at the point where i could probably sell them for what i would have into them at that point.I am posting some photos of the kit in its uncleaned-unfinished condition,so i can get some opinions from you guys!(dont mind the snare! its a pearl masters mmx maple shell and is the best sounding snare if have ever head in my life!) So here they are,what do you think???

1966 kent jazzer-champagne sparkle
1972 sonor 6 ply beechwood jazz set
1971 fibes chrome over fiberglass rock set
Posted on 14 years ago

Keep it as it is or sell it as it is. You won't earn that money back which you have to invest into it (besides the value for the kit itself).

Restoring it makes a lot of fun - but don't count the hours afterwards ...

Restauration of a kit that already doesn't has the original condition will not

bring you extra money.

Again: sell or play it as it is (and to me it doesn't look that bad for playing it

by yourself).

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, it's gonna cost you $200 to wrap it and they're not worth much more than that. I picked up a complete set with matching mint condition chrome snare for $100....granted it was a very good deal. But that said, if you're looking to make a lot of money on the set it just isn't there no matter how nicely they are restored. Good luck.

Posted on 14 years ago

How much does the missing wrap effect the sound quality? Does the shell not vibrate as well?

Posted on 14 years ago

I have nothing to compare it to as i bought the kit like this!! I just saw the same kit with original wrap go for about 470.00 dollars when converted from pounds(was a british seller) on ebay recently without a snare drum.You got the bargain of the century there!!! These drums are a bargain for what you get!! sonor sound-vintage 6 ply beechwood shells-probably one of the best values out there!!I am going to sand and refinish the shells without going crazy!! replace a few lugs and put on remo ambassadors on all the drums except the resonant bass head,pot on the old sonor logo and enjoy my vintage european beechwood drums!!! thanks for all your input!!

1966 kent jazzer-champagne sparkle
1972 sonor 6 ply beechwood jazz set
1971 fibes chrome over fiberglass rock set
Posted on 14 years ago

I believe the wrap has very little effect since it is only seam glued. There may be some minor damping but minimal for sure....this wrap does not act like another ply if that's what you're thinking. Nothing compared to head selection or tom mount for example.

CD, yes it was a deal but a total project kit all the way. I also got a very good condition hi hat stand, L-rod and a Speed King pedal with the shells.

Posted on 14 years ago

quick question the kit is a 22 kick 16 floor and what size rack? 13 or a 12? i hav one of these myself and plan on making a project out of it

-tambo

Posted on 13 years ago

I would call it a mid level,..the International was the known entry level. They came with the D426 snare. The big problem related to them is the nuts inside the lugs would break out of the plastic cast when the plastic became dry. They had the "funky" wraps though !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here