Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Sonor Signature Bubinga Snare

Hi all... I've got a Sonor Signature Bubinga snare drum from the 1980s - 6.5inch version. And what a drum it is. Been using it about 20 years.

Question is, though, it's got white enamel coated lugs and one of the hoops is the same and I can't for the life of me find out where they came from. I'd like to get rid of the white if possible... any tips on how to strip them?

thanks

Posted on 11 years ago

Media blasting will remove the enamel, you could also try "airplane remover".

Where its chipped in spots, whats underneath?

Chrome, brass?

Posted on 11 years ago

Hi Shawn M... not entirely sure what's underneath as it's not really chipped - though it's probably chrome. J

Posted on 11 years ago

Are you sure it's enamel and not powder coat? Enamel should bubble off fairly easy with a gel type remover. (check if compatible with chrome)

If it's powder coat, I'd have to googly! Reason I brought up the pcoat is that it became a very popular metal finish in the '80's.

Believe it or else!
Posted on 11 years ago

Hi MickM... I really don't know for sure. Is there a way of telling whether it's powder coat or enamel?

I've done a bit of fiddling and it's quite a thin coating... here are some pics:

2 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

If that`s an HLD581, It`s Rosewood not Bubinga. They were available in Ebony but that looks Rosewood !i

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago

Hi OddBall

Thanks for that... you might be right. I didn't know they made rosewood but the early-80s catalogue lists that as a finish. I'll grab some more pics later so you can see it.

J

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here