Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Sonor Rosewood Restoration

Thought it appropriate to start this thread as the old one, "wood veneer" had lost it's way..Refer back to that thread for in depth info and pics.

Almost finished the teardrop restoration!!! Thanks to Atomicorganic for pics of his Rosewood kit and all those who cheered me on.

Started out with shells, Sonor 3ply beech with re-rings (20" - late 50's, both toms, mid 60's) that had been stripped and re-wrapped in some horrible pink metallic chrome wrap. I stripped off the %#*^% pink and covered the shells in rosewood paper-backed veneer. All the chrome lugs and rods had to be thoroughly cleaned which was both a pleasure and a pain :) :(

Put the final lug on the bass, left it virgin as sugessted and installed the original Sonor 60's Evans head for the picture. The tom is virgin also and sits in a snare basket. Still looking for the bottom hoop on the 16" floor tom though. the one in the pic is a Ludwig. Anyone have a spare teardrop 16" hoop?

The finish on the rosewood veneer is 4 coats of Minwax rub-on urethane, followed by a light sanding with 0000 steel wool between coats, followed by two coats of Tung oil with a steel wool rub in between.

The bass drum shell was from the late 50's and came with the two "mallet" badges you see.

I have the two-part 60's "Made in Western Germany" badges for the toms but I can't seem to find the small silver tacks for them??

Went searching at Home Depot and other hardware places. Anyone know where to find the silver tacks?

Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement in my first full kit restoration. Great vintage sound by the way, very creamy and dreamy :)

Kelly

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 15 years ago

Awesome job on those!!! Congrats on a restoration well done.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Yes, thanks BD! I can't wait to do the next one. This could become addictive. I have some 60's Gretsch Round Badge shells to do ;)

~K

Posted on 15 years ago

Great stuff. I had been scared off experimenting with veneer because of the strong advice to use vacuum bags etc, which won't happen for a home basement one off job. Your work is inspiring a rethink.

thanks,

Patrick

Posted on 15 years ago

what type of adhesive did you use? Fantastic job, they look killer!!

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for your comments :)

Regular veneer is 1/42" thick making it somewhat difficultult to work with without significant pressure from the outside, clamps or vacuum bags.

Paper-backed is much thinner and pliable about 1/64" + paper thickness. The paper makes it easy to use and cut with scissors. 3M spray-on contact cement was esy too, just don't get it on your fingers and make sure all is lined up correctly. I didn't need to clamp or apply any pressure Excited

In addition the veneer is less costly than wrap. I paid $130 for a 4 X 8 Sheet and have some left to do more shells.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

That's way cheaper than a wrap job!!!

Posted on 15 years ago

It's awesome, very retro-looking ! Gorgeous.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments :)

It was a lot of work but I enjoyed every minute except maybe for hand detailing some of the chrome. Can't wait to do the next project.

I have a set of Grestch round badge shells with a very aged and kind of ugly factory stain finish. I plan on covering with paper-backed black walnut (a period Gretsch wood finish).

What do you think?

~K

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Were they walnut veneer or walnut colored stain? I thought they were maple with a dark stain.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here