Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Sonor "pancake"

So, I'm looking at what seems to me (from going through the catalogs) like a Sonor D 472, or "pancake", snare/piccolo, 14" x 3" I think, possibly 2.5". Wood shell, red sparkle wrap.

Anyway, I can't find much info about it, except for what's in the catalog, and a few posts around the web. It appears somewhat rare from what I read...

Am I right to think this is a "pancake" from the 60's?

And does anyone know if it's any good?

It seems in relatively ok condition... Lugs are bent out a bit, I guess.

I hate asking this (yet I do it all the time anyway :( ), but what price range would be appropriate for this, if anyone knows?

Thanks

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Lugs appear to be more than a bit bent! It appears that the drum might not be able to be properly tuned.

The range of most snare drums is limited by the very nature of the instrument, but a pancake snare provides only a very small resonant chamber so the effect is a very crisp, dry sound. If that's the effect you are looking for, then it's probably fine, but those lugs look as if they have been tightened so much, they caused the wood of the shell to deform and therefore will no longer be anchored enough to provide tuning ability.

Yeah, I think they are rare....not sure about the desirability of value, though. They are kind of a specialized "one-trick pony" type of drum....at least that's what I suspect. I've never actually played one.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 13 years ago

If O-lugs is not correct ... and everything works fine (easy tunable etc.) AND still the genuine snares (with the brand 'sonor' on it and in good condition) are at the snare side, I guess a price of EUR 100to 150 (or more) would be fair.

If O-Lugs is correct, then this snare really has a problem. Price then perhaps EUR 30 to 50.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago

I see... I wouldn't expect O-Lugs to be incorrect. Thus the problem is most likely larger than I had anticipated at first. If it's practically impossible to tune properly, it's not much use, since I do intend playing it.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here