Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

sonor pancake snare?

I just purchased a Sonor Pancake 60's snare drum...My problem is I can't tighten the tuning rods anymore due to they run out of thread and/or the end of the rod hits the bottom of the opposite lug...The rims are original, as far as I know, not the heads or snares...Is this a typical issue and if so, is their a solution? Please contact me @ [email]fredtripp49@msn.com[/email] or 518 747-8089.

Thanks

Posted on 11 years ago

Yes, your heads have stretched to the limit of the drum. Time for new heads !i

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago

Having owned several of the Sonor pancake models, I believe that the situation you describe is a typical issue encountered by owners of these drums. The problem might be set right by trying the following procedure:

Taking a sharp razor knife of the type used by hobbyists, cut the outer aluminum counterhoop rings off of two used plastic drumheads.

Put your drumheads on the pancake snare as you would normally, and lay one of the trimmed aluminum rings down on the head, creating a doubly thick aluminum counterhoop.

Repeat this procedure for the other side.

Then lay the metal hoops down over each head, insert your tension rods, and re-tension the drum.

The extra layer buffer should hopefully give you enough "elbow room" to properly tension and set up your drum without the metal hoops meeting each other and hiding the shell!

The only other option I can suggest is using different heads such as those made by Attack or Ludwig - with a very narrow crimped style aluminum counterhoop securing the mylar.

Remo heads and some others have a deep channeled counterhoop. These seat themselves deep over the shell, increasing the chances of the problem occurring.

Best of luck!

Posted on 11 years ago

Tuck some calf-heads yourself. They will be a custom fit.

/Magnus

Posted on 11 years ago

Nice Simple fix Buckie B..

Cheers..

Coffee Break2

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

Are there washers under the heads of the tension rods? How about just replacing the thin tension rod washers with larger nylon or metal spacer washers?

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here