Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Sonor D-421 on the way. Strainer Questions...

Been on the hunt for a D-471 and ultimately caught its parallel strainer counterpart (either a D-421 or 422, not sure). Excited to start recording and parallel strainer works fine, but wanted to know if I removed the whole mechanism if the existing hole pattern can accommodate any strainer/butt plate combo as is. Don't want to drill, but these original strainers look cumbersome and I eventually want to take the snare on a gig.

Also hear the original wires are impossible to find and there's no modern replacement. Any suggestions?

Posted on 6 years ago

I`m sure you can attach any strainer to a plate, then attach the plate to the existing drilling.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 6 years ago

I have this snare, even with original wires. Had some problems with making it work, but finally solved them by simply tying the strings around each of the ends of the mechanism. Then you just adjust it to your liking. I have gigged it and it wasn't cumbersome at all.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 6 years ago

Jay, I have a D-421. Honestly, if yours has a working original strainer mechanism and snares (like mine), please do not remove or replace it. This is a lovely, extremely sensitive drum, and almost impossible to find with the original mechanism in working order.

Like Gilnar said, this drum is giggable as is. I use a Hardcase for mine, to protect the mechanism during travel.

/Magnus

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks all. My strainer is good and I've been recording with it. It actually has some Pearl wires on it, so I'm assuming there are modern wires that will work with this parallel strainer. My initial concern was it'd be like the Premier Double 10 wires, which are impossible to find and have no alternative.

Posted on 6 years ago

Mine has the original snares. I doubt you will be able to find modern wires that will fit perfectly, but perhaps it is possible to custom fit a suitable modern wire set.

I attach a couple of old, crappy pictures of the original snare wires on my drum.

/Magnus

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here