Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Sonor Champion

I just purchased a four piece Sonor Champion with what appear to be Zidjian hihats and a generic "made in japan" snare. The shells appear to be 6 ply with a 45 degree bearing edge. I always thought Champions had rounded edges. Does anyone here own a set like this? What should I expect as far as sound goes? Does anyone have an extra matching BD hoop and the corresponding claws and trods?

Thanks all

Posted on 8 years ago

Those look like super champions with outer veneer of rosewood. Nice drums for sure. This is what later became phonics.

Gary

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 8 years ago

Yum !i ........

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 8 years ago

can't answer your question...but very cool drums!

Posted on 8 years ago

Are your BD hoops inlayed ?

I have the Phonic BD and it`s the same as yours, 9 ply beech, with 45`s.

I think the 9 ply SONOR 22" BD`s from the 70`s are the best sounding BD`s ever once you play with it and dial it in.

I think I`m seeing 12, 14, 16, 22.....if that`s the case, you`re missing a drum.

The one pain you will have is BD mount shake. If you play hard you wont like it. If you play elevator music, it`ll be fine. SONOR didn`t solve that issue until 79 with a stable BD mount plate.

Very sought after kit you have there. Not many Rosey Super Champions went out.

Posted on 8 years ago

The drums came and I am very pleased. The bass drum seems a bit sun faded but all of the hardware and chrome are in great shape. The sizes are a bit odd . . 14x22, 9x13, 14x10 and 16x18. The one bass drum hoop is not solid but has a indent in the middle. I cannot tell the ply count but it seems like it could be 9 ply. The 22 only has 8 lugs so I am going to say that it is a Champion.

Posted on 8 years ago

8 lug is Champion. Had to be ordered that way, that was done often. You wont be disappointed at all with them.

Are all the badges the same ? Can I trouble you for a pic of them pretty close ?

Posted on 8 years ago

From OddBall

8 lug is Champion. Had to be ordered that way, that was done often. You wont be disappointed at all with them. Are all the badges the same ? Can I trouble you for a pic of them pretty close ?

No problem. I will when I get home. All of the badges are the same. On one of them, the small sticker that says something like "full vibrating shells" fell off.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here