Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Sonor Brass snare pre-WW2

Hello!

Johan from Sweden here!

As an avid drummer and collector of all sort of things I was glad when I found this snare.

It´s an old brass Sonor snare in pretty good condition apart from the snare mechanism is missing. The old calf skins (which I suppose they is?) with wooden support rings is still left on it.

I have yet to find any information about these drums. Sonor HQ could not provide much more info then it was from the beginning of the -30´s. I know there is an unofficial Sonor homepage with alot of old broshures that helped me find the putative date of manufacturing.

As more of these old snare must have been on topic before I hope anyone of you guys could maybe fill in the gaps. I would love to try to restore it in some way to its former glory but I would not do anything before knowing what I´m doing..

Any input about value or information is appreciated!

Cheers,

J

3 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

That drum goes all the way back to 1800`s. It ran for a long time. It`s in SONOR`s earliest catalog. Other than the trademark stamped into the shell, I have not seen one with a date.

Member Henk, (Hemelsoet) is a go to guy with these things. He has more info than SONOR. He`s on this site here and there but on the sonormuseum`s facebook page mostly now.

The good news is that throw off was put on many other models up to the 40`s and maybe 50`s., the bad news is it may take forever to find one. It`ll be just a simple threaded screw with a hook on the bottom and finger nut on the top. Very simple.

If you could give more close pics. inside and out,...we love those details here. Keep the wooden hoop rings, the skin is all you need.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 6 years ago

It should be Red Copper, not Brass.

Posted on 6 years ago

Back then SONOR had a foundry and a mill, the shells arrived as fresh cut logs and the metal arrived as ore.

Posted on 6 years ago

I wouldn`t go much further than a mild soap and water cleaning and cloth buff dry with some red gun oil on the threads and knob. The whole thing is Copper, Brass or both. Shell looks Copper but pics. can`t tell that.

As a collector you should know that a survivor is best left that way.

Posted on 6 years ago

From OddBall

That drum goes all the way back to 1800`s. It ran for a long time. It`s in SONOR`s earliest catalog. Other than the trademark stamped into the shell, I have not seen one with a date. Member Henk, (Hemelsoet) is a go to guy with these things. He has more info than SONOR. He`s on this site here and there but on the sonormuseum`s facebook page mostly now. The good news is that throw off was put on many other models up to the 40`s and maybe 50`s., the bad news is it may take forever to find one. It`ll be just a simple threaded screw with a hook on the bottom and finger nut on the top. Very simple. If you could give more close pics. inside and out,...we love those details here. Keep the wooden hoop rings, the skin is all you need.

Thanks for the reply and information! I will certainly contact him and seek advice and fingers crossed he maybe could even tell more about it.

About the snare throw off is like you say just a simple thread pin/sqrew but let alone find one. well.. I sometimes like the pursuit of things rather then the actual goal so why not!

The wooden hoop rings is a keeper, thanks!

Posted on 6 years ago

From OddBall

I wouldn`t go much further than a mild soap and water cleaning and cloth buff dry with some red gun oil on the threads and knob. The whole thing is Copper, Brass or both. Shell looks Copper but pics. can`t tell that. As a collector you should know that a survivor is best left that way.

Indeed true! The patina is has is just stunning, atleast in my eyes.

Posted on 6 years ago

Very cool snare that needs professional attention...Piece of history there!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 6 years ago

From Dryckofilen

Thanks for the reply and information! I will certainly contact him and seek advice and fingers crossed he maybe could even tell more about it.About the snare throw off is like you say just a simple thread pin/sqrew but let alone find one. well.. I sometimes like the pursuit of things rather then the actual goal so why not!The wooden hoop rings is a keeper, thanks!

You got a prize drum. the surface will clean up nice and new skin around the hoops that drum will look alive again.

The hunt for parts for you is special, SONOR didn`t trade with the US and not too long ago,.. every artillery shell and bomb in the world went off in the area`s that drum went out to. Not gonna be easy at all.

I have faith you wont give up and you will complete it.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here