Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Some shots of my Jazzette Bass Drum

Since we always seem to be on a Jazzette kick (which by the way is a good thing) I figure I would post some quick shots of the 12x18 Jazzette I picked up around 11 years ago on EBAY for $160.00. I have dragged this thing around with me through four moves, and STILL have yet to get around to getting it up and running.

Until this forum, I had no idea how rare this particular piece is. I always knew that 18" bass drums were scarce, and I wanted this one bad because it was 12" deep- I was using a 12X22 WFL bass at the time, with a pair of 1963 Ludwig toms- 8x12 and 14x14 which I still own- the 12x22 took a walk after being left at a practice space- thankfully I did not leave the 8x12 and 14x14 there! I wanted to set this 18 up with the aformentioned toms, but never got around to it.

As you can see someone drilled (ie- butchered) this drum for a ludwig center mount tom holder, but thankfully left the original "club date" style spurs (well at least holes for them) intact. I have the spurs and mounts somewhere, but have yet to located them. Someone also painted the inside gray- but I think it is supposed to be granitone, I can see the texture under the sloppy gray paint.

Now, you purists may cringe- but I am thinking about rewrapping this piece- the fake walnut is to much for me to handle. My 1963 toms are champagne sparkle, and I was thinking about wrapping it to match. If anyone has the matching fake walnut toms and needs this piece, maybe a trade is in order if you happen to have a 12x18 bass in another color.

This forum has gotten me on a vintage drum madness, later I will post some pics of the 1956 14x20 WFL bass, and 12x14 tom, and my late 70's single head 8x12/9x13/10x14 Slingerlands.

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I say rewrap it. That big hole would make me crazy, and I am not big on the walnut either.

Posted on 15 years ago

People on here always say that rewrapping a drum always devalues it- but this case might be an exception- I mean this drum seriously looks like the dashboard insert on a 1976 Malibu.....

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here