Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Soaking......

Yeah, I can figure this out myself - from experience - which more times than not, is the hard way.

I have several hihat stands which I am restoring for future sale, and I use the Dawn soaking treatment......Can I soak the whole thing, or must I avoid soaking the internal parts of the pedal?

Also, same question for the labels. Must I tape them off, seal them somehow, or nothing at all. Soaking is going to risk them falling apart and coming off. Can I go ahead and soak them, then NOT TOUCH THEM at all and just let them dry...resulting in drying right on the stand as before as tight as before. I am just running through hypotheticals here.

Please advise here before I soak labels off and damage internal parts......

After-all, you may want to buy one from me :)

Thanks,

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

I'm thinking you can soak the internals as long as you can dry them with a cloth...airdrying tends to be a bad idea in my experience. I think I'd get some thick plastic sheeting and strong tape and mask off the labels. If they're paper, they may "bubble" up and the ink may start flaking. That's just my :2Cents: though.

Good luck whichever route you take!

Lynn

I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 12 years ago

John I'm not expert on the subject but I wouldn't water soak parts you can't later get at to dry and properly lubricate to prevent rust. This would include anything internally you can't get apart. Far as the labels go foil style labels should hold up but I'd think the dawn and water soak might loosen the adhesive if they are old and somewhat dry. Anything I soak in dawn and water I spray with WD-40 after and dry very well with can of compressed air or shop air if you have it including inside of any threaded bosses. And it's nothing I can't get completly apart. I don't like to introduce water to any rivets (that told the tripod together etc...) like many stands have as water and mositure is very hard to get out completely. Those parts I clean well with WD-40 and lube with a light oil and wipe any excess away. Others might have better info and tips for you hopefully~!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. Trying a bit of everything. Dissassembling as much as I can, taping off labels, WD40. The soaking is actually very helpful for parts that are super tight/seized up.

Thanks again,

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 12 years ago

Hey folks -

I hope that somebody in the know on this following question will jump in here to help, as I honestly don't want to be the guinea pig on this one.

I have several snare stands, many from the 60s, some 70s, perhaps even 50s?? I am using the DAWN SOAKING technique to clean them all up before selling on the bay. (IF YOU NEED ONE OF THESE PM ME) - Slingers and Luddys only.

Now, can I soak the snare baskets in Dawn/H2o also, or will it damage it. Much of the black rubber coatings (what would you cal those??) are nice and even sometimes shiny - I don't want to ruin that. With the looks of those, I wouldn't think they can be removed and replaced all that easily/successfully.

Thanks for any help,

John

Posted on 12 years ago

Dawn is a mild dish-wash detergent, it won't harm the rubber on the stands. Make sure you wipe everything down well to help inhibit rust. Use some polish on them and that'll provide some surface protection.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

+1. If it won't hurt the plastic/rubber spatula, it won't hurt the basket!

From Purdie Shuffle

Dawn is a mild dish-wash detergent, it won't harm the rubber on the stands. Make sure you wipe everything down well to help inhibit rust. Use some polish on them and that'll provide some surface protection.John

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here