Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

So this happened today...(Slingy content)

Goodwill score...mid to late 60's COB. Only had my lunch hour to peek and poke at it. Took a lug off just to verify, and saw that nice brassy reflection in the hole! Appears to have original heads, a Zoomatic that actually appears to not be broken or overtorqued, not sure about the snares though...a really dull battleship gray. One small indentation in the shell that has an appointment tonight with a curved piece of wood on my workbench. The first pic is just a quick once over with a microfiber cloth. It came covered in a greenish-whitish haze of years stored somewhere that promotes the formation of greenish-whitish haze! The second pic is a non-paid advertisement for Never Dull...I will let you guess which section got the quick treatment... :)

Looking forward to shining her up and letting her sing!

3 attachments
65-73 Ludwig orphans 22/16/15/13/12 (silver sparkle rewrap)
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 5 x 14
1976 Ludwig Acrolite 5 x 14
1966 Ludwig Pioneer 5 x 14
66-'67-ish Slingerland orphan project 20/13 (original champagne sparkling pearl)
Mid-60's Slingerland Gene Krupa COB Sound King 5 x 14
Mid-50's Slingerland tenor-to-floor tom resto/conversion project
Early 50's Slingerland Marcher resto project
Pork Pie 6.5 x 14 Big Black
Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

I've wonder what those drums would sound like if you removed the interior coating and exposed the brass shell?

Coffee Break2

Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 7 years ago

I've no idea, but if its covered in chrome on one side, I can't imagine much difference in sound just removing the coating from the inside? Not going to test the theory with this one though! :)

66-'67-ish Slingerland orphan project 20/13 (original champagne sparkling pearl)
Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

If you look at the inside of the bearing edge... you will appreciate just how thin that inner coating is.... it's not chromed.

Could not imagine any audible variation if that coating was removed..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 7 years ago

And this is what she ended up looking like...not too bad for a 51-ish year old lady! :)

1 attachments
64.3 kB
Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

A really great score and it cleaned up very well! Your drum is from the year I like best, about 68-69. The shell still uses the full round-over edges AND aluminum lug backing plates, COB hoops, PLUS the addition of the Zoomatic strainer with the wide drop gate and clamping bar that made use of "normal" length snare wires with tape straps instead of string. Enjoy your COB Gene Krupa Sound King. It's a great drum!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

Great score and good job cleaning it up! One of my favorite snare drums.

Posted on 7 years ago

From idrum4fun

A really great score and it cleaned up very well! Your drum is from the year I like best, about 68-69. The shell still uses the full round-over edges AND aluminum lug backing plates, COB hoops, PLUS the addition of the Zoomatic strainer with the wide drop gate and clamping bar that made use of "normal" length snare wires with tape straps instead of string. Enjoy your COB Gene Krupa Sound King. It's a great drum!-Mark

I'm really liking it, but want to put some new heads on it, and maybe some Puresound snares. The snare side head in particular is stretched from here to Terre Haute, and I had to really crank it down to get it tight. The snares were pretty bent as well, and not sure if they are original...they are a really flat gray and there is no name on them at all.

Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

Great job on the dent and polish !! GK Sound Kings and outstanding snares. The couple of known originals I've seen had clear plastic snare ends. Those didn't last long. Heads and Puresounds will bring it to life.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 7 years ago

Great find and great job on the refurbishment. Thanks for sharing. I've heard you can find stuff at Goodwill.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here