Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

So I got these today. What do I need to know? (mij and premier stuff)

I know the kit is a Lido Supreme, 12x8 14x14 20x14. Actually has about 97% of the hardware, minus bass legs and tom legs. However someone made a mess of a hole to mount toms. The bearing edge on the reso head for the bass drum is messed up too, but I think it's fixable. The shells are super thin, i guess luan, with re-rings. The floor tom has 3 rings.

The 16x16 Majestic is thicker, like 6 or 7 plys, but still pretty light. The batter lugs are bigger than the reso lugs. Supposed to be that way?

The snare is a Premier Olympic. S/N is 6342. I'm guessing early 70s. Is that the correct throw off? Another Made In England throw was in the box with the MIJ hardware.

So, when were the MIJ drums made? I really like the wrap, and it hasn't lifted. Minus that ugly hole, it's in good shape. I'd love to have those set up with around my Tangerine Glitter Big Beats.

Am I close on the snare? Looks like it will sound pretty good, has a good bearing edge and it's heavy.

Thanks in advance!

5 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Man, nice score! That's quite a project, but if you see it through, you are going to have a beautiful set!

If it were me, I'd focus on the Lido Supreme drums and turning them into a great jazz/all around awesome set. You might be able to find the original mount on ebay. Follow your instinct and fix up the edges, polish the lugs, get some new heads, and away you go!

The Majestic floor tom, personally, I would put on CL or ebay. I bet someone out there has a set in that wrap with a 14" FT that would love to have a matching 16.

The Olympic snare I cant tell you much about, but once that thing is cleaned up, I'd bet my bottom dollar it will sound great.

The MIJ drums were all made by Star, as you may know, the company that became Tama. I'd say they date somewhere around the mid 60's. (I'm not sure exactly when they started using the thicker shells.)

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks!

My plan is to get the Lido's back in working order. I have just about everything for it, minus the rail. Odd to be missing it but still having the tom mount on the drum and the mount for the rail. I'll have to come up with something to cover the repair to that hole. Gonna be the toughest part.

As for the Premier, other than being filthy, it's actually in great shape. Almost no surface rust at all, perfect bearing edges...can't wait to have it going again. Should be friday on that, so won't have to wait long!

Posted on 13 years ago

From heff

I know the kit is a Lido Supreme, 12x8 14x14 20x14. Actually has about 97% of the hardware, minus bass legs and tom legs. However someone made a mess of a hole to mount toms. The bearing edge on the reso head for the bass drum is messed up too, but I think it's fixable. The shells are super thin, i guess luan, with re-rings. The floor tom has 3 rings. The 16x16 Majestic is thicker, like 6 or 7 plys, but still pretty light. The batter lugs are bigger than the reso lugs. Supposed to be that way?The snare is a Premier Olympic. S/N is 6342. I'm guessing early 70s. Is that the correct throw off? Another Made In England throw was in the box with the MIJ hardware. So, when were the MIJ drums made? I really like the wrap, and it hasn't lifted. Minus that ugly hole, it's in good shape. I'd love to have those set up with around my Tangerine Glitter Big Beats. Am I close on the snare? Looks like it will sound pretty good, has a good bearing edge and it's heavy. Thanks in advance!

Hello, On the Lido set that's going to be a nice set when finish..Just for your info.the t-rods on the toms are the thin odd metric thread's rods--i have them if you need them also have the bass drum T-rods and claws if you need them and one last thing i have the rail tom mount complete too..Your Lido set was made in the late 60's by star the shells are 3 ply with rings made of Luan wood..Now for the Majestic floor tom if i was you i would put it up on ebay a resell the tom,if you need the 8 T-rods i have them these are the old size metric threads your drum should sell for 75.00-100.00 because of the rarer finish you have on the drum..Any 16' rim will work on the tom....The lugs should match by your photo someone could have added the bottom lugs the top lugs are the right one's if you need the 8 right lug's i have them too..On the Premier snare yes it's from the 1970s iam thinking about 1973-74 it's a ok snare if you were going to resell the snare it should bring you 75.00-100.00...If you need ant vintage parts for any of the drums just P/M/ and let me know...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

The Lido drums are mid 60s. Star went to the thicker shells, as well as Pearl, in mid 1967. The tone differential between the thin and thick shells would drive any reasonable drummer nuts. Mikey is right on the floor tom, let it ride on ebay for a few days, should bing enough to make it worthwhile.

As for the lugs on that drum, they are correct. Off-set and not matched, size wise, because someone was not paying attention and truth be, the smaller lugs were a few cents cheaper, multiplied by a few thousand, it made a big difference in production costs....or the builder simply ran out of the large lugs and had to keep going to meet the days run.

If you really want to make these drums sing out and live another 50 years, I suggest you tear them down to bear shells (not taking off the wrap, of course) and sand the interiors down with 80, then 150, then 220 grit sandpaper, just enough to smooth them and close up the grain. After you have that done, use a clear lacquer (NOT POLYURETHANE)[/B] to seal these old, dry shells and you will have saved them for another 2-3 generations of drummers.

Should you decide to go this route, use at least 3 coats of lacquer, it will seal them for all time and eternity, or until we die....at which point we won't care anymore. Great color wrap and not all that common. The Tiger wrap tom should be a money maker as it is rather not all that common either. Telling the truth, neither of those wraps is a commonly seen wrap.

Mikey777 should have all the parts you need.

1 attachments
"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Good plan on the lacquer for the interiors.

Like I said I have all the lugs for the Lidos, and the two from the Majestic.

The only things I do need are bass drum spurs, and the consolette, need to pm Mikey. Since I don't think I'll be able to find any of the wrap, what would be the best way to cover that hole in the bass drum? I can fix the hole, but there will be a bare spot. I was thinking of squaring up, or rounding out the damaged wrap, and cutting a piece off the bottom of the drum to cover the repair. I can't think of any other options really, and few people will ever see the bottom of the bass drum, and since the drum itself has been cut into, I don't think it would hurt much.

Posted on 13 years ago

From heff

Good plan on the lacquer for the interiors. Like I said I have all the lugs for the Lidos, and the two from the Majestic. The only things I do need are bass drum spurs, and the consolette, need to pm Mikey. Since I don't think I'll be able to find any of the wrap, what would be the best way to cover that hole in the bass drum? I can fix the hole, but there will be a bare spot. I was thinking of squaring up, or rounding out the damaged wrap, and cutting a piece off the bottom of the drum to cover the repair. I can't think of any other options really, and few people will ever see the bottom of the bass drum, and since the drum itself has been cut into, I don't think it would hurt much.

Well, as your only option, IF you go under the bass and VERY CAREFULLY remove small sections of the OVER WRAP at the seams, you may be able to remove enough to cover the holes and be able to make it look better. You must be a good surgeon to make this work. Otherwise, leave it alone.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 13 years ago

I have a COS snare if you need it..BTW

Posted on 13 years ago

I wonder, since I dont see the corresponding holes, if your bass drum actually had a rail on it.

Check out the photo of the bass drum in this thread. I think this is the type of mount that your drum may have had. (I know the hole in your bass looks pretty ugly, but the mount was reinforced on the interior of the shell with a metal plate, so no one would have seen the hole anyway.)

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=11440&highlight=stewart

So I would be on the hunt for a mount like that. Also, I would not try to remove some wrap from the bottom of the shell. I think you're really just asking for more trouble if you do that. This wrap gets very brittle when disturbed, so you could potentially ruin a large portion of the wrap on that area of the drum. I wouldn't do it.

Posted on 13 years ago

From cn679

I wonder, since I dont see the corresponding holes, if your bass drum actually had a rail on it.Check out the photo of the bass drum in this thread. I think this is the type of mount that your drum may have had. (I know the hole in your bass looks pretty ugly, but the mount was reinforced on the interior of the shell with a metal plate, so no one would have seen the hole anyway.)http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=11440&highlight=stewartSo I would be on the hunt for a mount like that. Also, I would not try to remove some wrap from the bottom of the shell. I think you're really just asking for more trouble if you do that. This wrap gets very brittle when disturbed, so you could potentially ruin a large portion of the wrap on that area of the drum. I wouldn't do it.

....he is right. I was just thinking out of my mind.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here