Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Snare Wire Advice

Hi all, been a while.

Could use a little advise. Help2 I have a '62 4x14 Ludwig snare, part of the set I've posted here, that is ridiculously resonate.. currently have on a Blaster snare that is WAY over the top. Was all the store had and I needed to put something on the drum.

I'd like a MUCH mellower snare effect from the drum. Right now it is highly muffled to try and tame it a bit.

WHat wires do you recommend?

Any suggestions on tuning the drum, if that would help. Right now it is pretty tight with both heads about even.

Nice group here,

DenS

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Hi all, been a while.Could use a little advise. Help2 I have a '62 4x14 Ludwig snare, part of the set I've posted here, that is ridiculously resonate.. currently have on a Blaster snare that is WAY over the top. Was all the store had and I needed to put something on the drum.I'd like a MUCH mellower snare effect from the drum. Right now it is highly muffled to try and tame it a bit.WHat wires do you recommend?Any suggestions on tuning the drum, if that would help. Right now it is pretty tight with both heads about even. Nice group here,DenS

To mellow it out, I wouldn't tune it so tight and that includes snare tension. I doesn't take much to get a 4 x 14 really cranked up. Also, you have figure out what sound you are looking for, and what size drum you have(tunning range).

peace

Posted on 16 years ago

First, try moving to more snare wires, such as 42 strand. I know this may sound like the opposite of what you're after, but I think you'll be surprised. The greater surface area coverage of the 42 wires actually muffles the reso head, resulting in a dryer sound. Second, assuming by "mellow" you mean less bright, go with Puresound (other than the Blasters). They are definately a mellow wire (too much so for my taste, in fact). Whether you go for the 42 strand based on my advice or not, the duller Puresound wires will darken up the tone a bit. Hope this helps.

Posted on 15 years ago

Why not try an actual Ludwig set of wires? They are fairly nice and would actually sound pretty cool on this thin snare.

Posted on 15 years ago

From drumboy

Second, assuming by "mellow" you mean less bright, go with Puresound (other than the Blasters). They are definately a mellow wire (too much so for my taste, in fact). Whether you go for the 42 strand based on my advice or not, the duller Puresound wires will darken up the tone a bit. Hope this helps.

With my limited experience, I'd agree with the above statement. I did a A/B test on a drum I purchased recently, Gibraltar vs Puresound. The Puresound won hands down and took the edge off the sound (the Gilbraltar wires were brighter and more 'rock' sounding - not bad, just not my thing).

www.brushbeat.org
Posted on 15 years ago

You guys are going to LOVE this:

http://www.malletjazz.com/snares/snarewires/#grover Cool1

The creator (James Walker) has posted a bunch of recorded snare wire comparisons, with all variables the same except the brand of wires used (though I noticed a few minor deviations in tuning - but overall very consistent). I've got my few definite favorites (and dislikes) but I'll keep them to myself to avoid tainting your opinions. It'll then be fun to compare likes/dislikes.

FYI, each sample has a "mix" recording of batter/reso microphones, which I think is the most telling in terms of what the player will actually hear. Can't wait to test the "beauty is in the ear of the beholder" addage! ENJOY!

Posted on 15 years ago

Cool! I skimmed over a few. I'll check more later! Thanks for linking!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here