Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

snare restoration update

hello all, here is where i'm at on my 1959 6 lug lugwig. Please keep in mind this is my first attemt , and am not going by any rules. When the drum came to me it looked like some one brushed poly over it, so I stripped it to bare mahogany and rubbed 5 coats of tung oil on it. cleaned the hardware best I could, and added new nut & bolts. Still need six more tension rods (2 3/4" over all length if any body has for sale?) I also would like to throw a few questions out in hopes for some advise. Being a 59" what should I look for...

I need a set of snairs, and a set of skins. Any advise on what to look for to try and keep this thing as close to 1959 as possible. Or should I just use whatever to get this thing done? Appreciated, GRW

Posted on 15 years ago

It should be a great looking snare when your done.

ANSWERS

. Tension rods are most likely on ebay(I don't think the ones you have are original)

.Go over the metal parts with flitz or brasso

.You will need a transition badge to fill that hole

.Post in the wanted section on this forum for your parts

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

Looks good. Did you tung both inside and out ????

Posted on 15 years ago

Ninefingers, No I did not tung oil the inside. I thought about doing it, but did not want to take a chance on rubbing out the SEPT 28, 1959 stamp that is there. Any ideas on what to do? I am a seasoned woodworker, and I do know the importance of finishing both sides (all sides) of any wood project to help balance the moisture absorption/release process. But does this apply to drum shells? Maybe a light coat of spray poly? Please let me know if you have any thoughts on what to do. Regards, GRW

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I use a 3m marine paste wax on areas that I don't want a liquid on but want some protection.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]You don't need to finish the inside. I agree with your decision...I wouldn't concern myself with imbalanced absorption on this shell. I'd leave it.

Never used the stuff GD describes...sounds interesting...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here