Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Snare rattle

I have this Ludwig 1963 Jazz Festival snare drum with a smaller and deeper cut out snare bead. The snare head is tuned equal and has no ribbling on the snare bead. The snare wires are original 18 strand. Trouble is that I have to tension them verry hard to obtain a short crisp sound without ratling and buzzing. I have to tension them this hard that it becomes difficult to put on or off the strainer's leaver.

Is this normal with this type of snare bead or is something wrong and how can it be solved?

Posted on 14 years ago

Sounds like your snare head is either too tight or too heavy, or both.

Posted on 14 years ago

Snare head is a Remo Ambassador hazy which is a common head. Snare head is tuned to an F#, I don't know if that's too tight. perhaps other snare wires could help? Puresound 16 strand which could fit better in the smaller and deeper snare bead?

Posted on 14 years ago

When my old Slingerland snare was fitted with wires that were too wide for its snare bed, it acted a little similar to what you're describing. I could actually get the drum to sound decent (with plenty of snare tension), but was having MAJOR problems with sympathetic buzz. Switching to narrower 16-strand PureSound wires fixed my problem.

Before resorting to buying anything, you could examine the snare wires closely to check how they're making contact with the snare head. With the snares engaged at a reasonable tension, tap along the length of each wire with your finger to see if there are places where the wire isn't sitting flush with the head. When I was using wires that were too wide, I found a spot where there was a tiny little gap between the middle wires and the snare head.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here