Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Snare Manufacturer "VIBRATION"

dear all, does someone know who built the snare drum (see pic attached)? Who is Manufacturer "VIBRATION" and how old might the snare drum be?

thanks in advance & best regards

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Hello Dave,

If you can, post some pics of the lugs and other hardware

If I had to guess based on that one pic, I would say Hoshino K.

as the badge is a foil sticker type and not made of actual metal.

I am pretty sure that rules out Star.

That leaves only Pearl and Hoshino K.

Of those two, the badge looks much more like something used by Hoshino K.

The name Vibration is just a name and not a maker

and I have never seen that name spelled out in full like that .but I have seen Hoshino K. drums badged "VIBRA"

But again,having a look at the other hardware may help.

Posted on 5 years ago

I've never seen that badge before...Very cool!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 5 years ago

hi Kenwood,

thanks for your feedback! Attached 2 pics which might help to identify

regards & happy weekend!

David

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi David!

I'm with Kenwood about this being a Hoshino K. All Pearl and Star drums I've seen always had metal badges, but no decal badges. Also, Hoshino seemed to take more liberties with lugs, such as Gretsch and Rogers style lugs. Your lugs look more like a Rogers design. For those of us that have an interest in MIJ stencil names, "Vibration" is a new one for many of us!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Hello again Dave

yes indeed that snare drum is Hoshino K made all the way

and like Mark mentioned "Vibration" badges are not very common (first time for me)

But an abbreviated version "Vibra" is much more common

I would take a guess the drum is early to mid 70's

Posted on 5 years ago

Yeah, that's a Chrysler all the way!

I hope you have not use steel wool on that snare. It will scratch up and indeed make it dull.

Green bottle of Turtle Wax Rust Remover/Chrome Polisher - with a micro-fiber cloth is the way to go.

Nice looking snare!

Thanks for sharing!

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 5 years ago

Sorry Dave Drums - my mailbix is full, can't get messages until I find time to clean it out.

At the time, there were three major drum manufacturers in Japan. In the analogy of the "Big 3" of the US Auto world - Ford, GM, Chrysler......It was Pearl, Star, Hoshino and Hoshino was the 3rd place producer at the time, while most of the time Chrysler has also been 3rd place behind GM and Ford.

I actually started a thread about this (using this analogy) but I can't remember if it was here or over at DFO.

The value of that snare:

I believe that if that is the original strainer, it would more likely be 1980s, or late 70s if before 80. While sometimes rare MIJ Stencils can demand more value than others (recently the Trump stuff, or with rare wrap, like Fantasia for example) probably 98% of the stencil stuff out there is priced considerably lower than American.

If I were to guess at the market value of that snare - I would land it in the $50-75 range. Rare to find any stencil snare priced at 100 or more.

If it sounds good, I would certainly PLAY IT and Love it to pieces :)

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 5 years ago

Hello again David

I just noticed that you are in Germany

which may help explain why many of us at least, have not seen Vibration badges before

depending on where the drums where exported from Japan

certain regions of the world got stencil names not common with other regions

one example that comes to mind is "Boston" badged drums which are made by Star

I live in Rhode Island which is only 50 miles from Boston. and being a collector I have always wanted a Boston badged kit for my display unfortunately for me, every Boston kit or orphaned drum I have found available online was exported from Japan to Australia and seemingly none here to the U.S.

Posted on 5 years ago

Now I have definitely much more background information about the snare drum ... thank you Kenwood & John!

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here