Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Snare identification 2

Hi,

found a new one which I would like to buy.

Pics of strainer will follow.

Michael

2 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Hi,

That snare is probably not worth too much. Hard to tell what brand it is. The tension casings (lugs) usually are a good indicator but these are not familiar to me, although they remind me somewhat of older Premier, but I don't think that these are actually Premier lugs. The finish looks like it is peeeling away, so it is probably not original. Can't see the strainer in the photos and don't see a badge either. Also, it is a six lug drum, which probably means it was a low cost model when it was made, since the higher quality models generally had 8 or 10 lugs. I'm guessing that it's an import of some sort, maybe from the 50s or 60s. Maybe worth $50. Not something to buy as a collectible, but you never know, it might tune up and sound great and might be a bargain if it is inexpensive enough.

Steve.

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi,

thank you, Steve! :)

I thought the same (not so in detail) but this was the reason I didn't buy this snare drum.

Regards

Michael

Posted on 18 years ago

The lugs are probably British in origin, they did appear on Premier drums, but also were seen on Carlton drums. There was a feature in Classic Drummer not long ago about a Swiss made snare which I think had the same style lugs.

www.blenheimdrums.co.uk
Premier spare parts
Posted on 18 years ago

The snare is a premier,I've the same drum with the latter dominion lugs,same paint.The stainer on mine is a simple tango type rivetted to the top hoop.Its 13.75in by 5. with 6 lugs and a Premier badge.Mike I showed it to Tam at the show,He thought just postwar.Dion

Posted on 18 years ago

mikeellis, correct, but it was in Vintage drummer - it was my drum, called Imperial.

I would love to have the chance to buy more drums with these lugs, so if anyone has a link to an auction with a drum like that, please let me know. I see this thread is too old for me to catch that one. Or sammypen, if you ever decide to sell yours (without raking one over the coals), I'd be interested.

My interest in these drums are not based on any kind of monetary value, I just love that retro style.

Posted on 18 years ago

Imperial!! I was racking my brain to remember the name! I couldn't find the mag, so apologies for the wrong name!!! Cool I remember your posting at A.N. Other forum about the drum and you did a superb job bringing it back to life.

Drums with those lugs used to be 10 a-penny in the UK when I started playing, but they are not quite do easy to find these days, all gathering dust and forgotten about in attics methinks!

(spilling odit)

www.blenheimdrums.co.uk
Premier spare parts
Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Imperial!! I was racking my brain to remember the name! I couldn't find the mag, so apologies for the wrong name!!! Cool I remember your posting at A.N. Other forum about the drum and you did a superb job bringing it back to life.Drums with those lugs used to be 10 a-penny in the UK when I started playing, but they are not quite do easy to find these days, all gathering dust and forgotten about in attics methinks!(spilling odit)

Keep me in mind if you find any available!

:D

Posted on 18 years ago

Yes looked your Imperial up in V.D.The lugs are very like Premiers but the Premier Dominion Shining Brackets as Premier called these lugs when they came out in 1937 have a cut out to clear the low wide center bead they introduced at the same time.Also the imperial has a half round shape in the middle of the casting the Premier is the same shape as the bigger one on the side of the lug. The big give away would be to remove a lug from the drum that the thread is supposed to be about,all premier dominion lugs inside under the spring PREMIER ACE cast in.I've 4 Premier drums with these lugs,2 ace snare drums,1 1939 "100" bass drum with 8 of these lugs mounted in the center.and the postwar snare I mentioned before,they are all the same with premier ace cast inside.Hope this is some help sorting out something about these beautiful SHINING BRACKETS.Dion

Posted on 18 years ago

sammypen, thanks for that detailed info! Next time I have the Imperial apart (it's due for a good polishing, but what a chore!) I'll look for that inside the lug, although, I doubt it'll be marked; I think I'd have noticed that on re-plating.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here