Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Snare Drum Repair

Can anyone recommend a good wood filler. I've got a Radio King shell from I believe to be the 40's ( it had a cloud badge ) that has some seperation issues starting. I've used MiniWax wood filler for a cheap set for my kids and I had very good results, just wondering if anyone can recommend something better.

Thanks in advance for the input.Help

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

For holes the best is to use a properly sized dowel. Cut it to size. Glue it in and sand it flat. I've used the wood filler before, but you can always tell. If the inside of the shell is painted and you repaint, it is very difficult to see. Matt Synyard of Bonzo drum has done this work for me and you just can't tell.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

These are not "holes" but the seam on the rings seperating from the shell and there is no way to get a dowel in there.....

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

On the vintagesnaredrums website they recommend using plastic wood. I would assume it depends how much separation your experiencing but on my snare I had some hairline cracks in the first ply, and a teeny bit of separation near a re-ring and I simply used some wood glue--a tiny amount--it seemed to do the trick

Posted on 17 years ago

Backbeatkeeper, I have also expierienced seperation of the reinforcement rings on my 51' radio king. That projects on the back burner for now though. Please tell me if you find anything that works well.

I forgot to meantion that my radio king is a bass drum though. 24x14.

Thanks

harrison

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Backbeatkeeper, I have also expierienced seperation of the reinforcement rings on my 51' radio king. That projects on the back burner for now though. Please tell me if you find anything that works well. I forgot to meantion that my radio king is a bass drum though. 24x14.Thanksharrison

I found the cure!!! Use and old syringe or new one filled with wood glue and start at the smallest part of the seperation and fill it with glue, I used a standard C-clamp and had some small flat pieces of 1/4 inch hardwood sandwiched between the clamp and the drum and clamped it after I glued it and just kept working towards the larger part of the sepereation. After a day and a half, the seperation is tight enough to use my secret weapon for filling the small hole. Be warned, you may hear a little cracking in the wood when you tighten the clamp, go slowly!!! By the way Harrison, you never got back to me on that WFL tom, email me if your still interested.

Gary

Hurting

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here