Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Snare drum made from Dutch vintage leftovers

edit (19-7-2015): I posted a new picture. I came to find out that I forgot all about the airvent! I made one and put a grommet in it. I also re-cut the bearing edges to a total roundover, because with the "modern edges" it was to ringy for me, I came to find out.

This is a 14 x 6 inch snare drum. I made it from three very beat-up vintage Dutch drums I had lying around. Two Royal parade drums (see picture) that I used for the shell, the hoops and the strainer, and one Triumph snare drum (see also pictures) that I used for the lugs. (Picture 3 and 4 are not the actual drums I used, but are the same type, just to show an example.)

I cut down a 12 inch shell to make a 6 inch shell. Also cut extra rings to make re-rings. Painted the inside mint-green. The outside I veneered with European walnut and painted with satin laquer. I cut quite "modern" edges. It has a nice crack, but also nice overtones, I guess partly because of the rims, that are NOB, like all the rest of the hardware.

edit: posted a new picture. I came to find out that I forgot all about the airvent! I made one and put a grommet in it.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 9 years ago

That is a very cool snare drum !

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Very cool you made it your own from vintage parts, you should get a patent on it!

I love the jazz era
Posted on 9 years ago

You amaze me Bartw! The kit you made from european marchers was very desirable and now this über-cool salvaged creation. Congradulations op uw goede werk !

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 9 years ago

Nice work... You are churning out some very innovative drums... I really enjoy looking at your projects..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

Excellent work and beautiful outcome, especially since it's giving you a sound you like. Very unique!

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanx for compliments guys.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 9 years ago

You deserve every one of the compliments! Your work is amazing!!!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 9 years ago

I recognize the strainer in the first picture to be Royal Drums. I have one, but mine is a chopped marcher with Beverley lugs installed. The workmanship is shoddy at best. These drums pictured here are real beauts! Thanks for sharing!

Posted on 9 years ago

I'm completely amazed with this! Excellent job!

-Mark

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here