Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Snare Buzz. What's Up With That?

I think I finally found the sweet spot with my chrome snare, as well as when thrown off for the tom. So, why is it when it's in the snare position I get a buzz/rattle when I hit the 13 x 9 rack tom (6 ply)? The tom is free standing, not mounted to the bass drum...

I tried tightening the tension on the wires but that creates snare noise in the tom position...

Any magic tuning combo for this?

Posted on 13 years ago

Read up on mechanical waves. It's pretty cool stuff and will aid in understanding the instrument. What you're experiencing is a type of sympathetic vibration and/or destructive wave. That's all. It's very common and easily reduced by adjusting the frequency of one of the membranes.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

From RogerSling

Read up on mechanical waves. It's pretty cool stuff and will aid in understanding the instrument. What you're experiencing is a type of sympathetic vibration and/or destructive wave. That's all. It's very common and easily reduced by adjusting the frequency of one of the membranes.

...in other words, you need to adjust the tension on one of your heads (likely the resonant side, at a quarter turn per rod). Our brother slingybob is a scientist and forgets that we are not all that smart...love ya bro, but...remember we are "musicians" and according to legend, not the smartest creatures on the planet, at least according to legend...

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Would it be better to change the resonant side of the snare or the tom? Which would produce the best results in a situation like this?

Posted on 13 years ago

That's a personal preference thing. When you adjust the resos, you have to be careful not to choke the drum and kill responsiveness. Maybe try pulling one up slightly and the other down slightly. That will accomplish the same thing. You want to put a gap between the frequency of vibration for both heads.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

Tell it not to use an electric razor... Eye Ball

fishwaltz
Posted on 13 years ago

one problem is that if the heads are adjusted unevenly , there are numerous areas of the heads that have differing resonant frequencies-----at one t-rod it is such and such and at another such and such , with the centre of the head responding to the average, so there is almost bound to be some resonant overlap.once it starts it gets multiplied by other drum components, that on their own would be fairly silent. tuning each head with precision , and this means 1/8 turns or less sometimes and getting each head as close to uniformity around the circle as possible will often clear things up.-----generally keep toms low and the snare high, with the tom heads fairly even and the snare side head about a third behind the batter side. ---but getting that snare drum even will often take it away from any effects from the tenor tom. small toms are often closer to the snare in pitch so can cause a lot of trouble.

if all else fails, just plaster duct tape all over everything that could potentially move and get a pair of 1 A sticks .

Posted on 13 years ago

Just loosen 2 lugs at opposite ends of the wires, on the diagonal, about 1/2 turn or so.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here