Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Slingy tom ?

Webmaster sent me a link to this secret hidden forum, where am I? I posted this in vintage drums and over at drumforum. Trying to make a decision on a purchase:

I went recently and had a look at a pair of 6" and 8" Slingerland concert(?) toms advertised locally. These looked to be 5ply maple but had a thin reinforcement ring only on the bottom side. Also the rims were sticksavers but were not as curved inward as usual, tightened down almost flush to the head. Are these concert toms or maybe bongos?

I am looking for a set of concerts in 3ply maple and am somewhat lacking of knowledge. Are the small 6" and 8" of this era going to have the reinforcement rings top and bottom? I have not been able to find exactly what I am looking for, maybe I'm looking for the wrong shells?

Found this picture of a 6" tom. The ones I looked at locally had much thicker shell, nice finished interiors and a thin lower reinforcement ring. This one looks like a thinner shell but is left raw on the interior and no reinforcement rings? To match with a 3ply maple era kit, what am I looking for?

Thanks,

Michael

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Okay, more info.

The tom above #155xxx is 1974ish?

The tom below #241xxx in 1976ish?

Also, on the tom pictured below notice the single reinforcement ring, short rim, nice interior.

2 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

I hope I'm close on the dating? I'm trying to match a set aroung 77 or 78.

Seemed to be alot od changes on these in very close proximity? Going to add another. Just came across this one on ebay.

Serial on the 6" is 167xxx. About 1975? Finished interior no rings.

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Michael:

Assuming I understand your objective accurately, then in this case your approach using serial numbers is probably the best way to find a matching era set of toms. There was quite a bit of variation in shell construction for the very small toms (under 12 inch diameter) and bongos back then.

And BTW - the quickest way to differentiate a small Slingerland concert tom from a bongo is the hoop location - basically it's above the head for a tom and below it for a bongo (for hand playing).[/COLOR]

Posted on 18 years ago

I know, my posts are somewhat scatterbrained. All these differences are kind of throwing me for a loop.

I went ahead and picked up the set in the second post (6" and 8") with the reinforcement rings. Seemed to be in the date range I am looking for (using your pages, thank you). I'm almost thinking they may be bongos? Hopefully not. Is the rim the only difference between toms and bongos?

Posted on 18 years ago

The 78 catalog lists the bongo sizes as 5" x 6" and 5" x 8"

The No. 303 set had tubes running between the drums and the No. 298

had clip mounts similar to the toms.

They also had what they called Deep Hand Bongos

that were 10" x 8" and 10" x 6"

The catalog also shows the concert tom No 556 as 5 1/2" x 6"

and the No 558 as 5 1/2" x 8"

I'm not sure if that helps any, the Dr probably has that info without looking at the catalog, I have to use them all of the time!

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Yes that does help. I know I don't have a 5" drum and depths are 5 1/2". I just removed the VERY tight rim and head of the 8" and tried to replace with a new head. No go, to tight???? Violin

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here