Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Slingy snare - Is it worth a 2nd look?

Hello folks - I'm not up on the vintage slingerland stuff so I thought I'd post here. I spied an old metal shell Slingy at a local music store the other day. Standard size (14" X 5 1/2") I believe. The shell was def chrome over something as it's insides were metal as well. Badge was the black/silver Niles, stick saver rims and the standard 8 Slingy lugs. The throw was the simple Slingy style (looks like the old 55' - 69' Ludwig style - Thumbscrew tensioner, side-arm throw).

The shell and lugs had some surface rust and pitting, but it wasn't trashed. The drum also had some heft to it, so I doubt it was aluminum - felt like a brass shell weight to me. Is this worth around $100.00 or should I pass?

Thanks.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 17 years ago

Well, 54 views and not 1 reply - I'll have to take that as a "pass on it".

Posted on 17 years ago

Black and silver badge would signify the 1970s. Most likely the drum you saw was a fesival model...8 lugs, rapid strainer, chrome over steel shell. (These do exist with brass shell...that shell would have 3 etched lines...)

The hoops should be chrome over steel stick savers.

In real nice shape, the drum is worth $100...they're all over ebay for around that price, so it's no special bargain. If you play it and like it, it's worth the dough.

BTW...the "standard" size for most snares is 5 x 14", not 5 1/2 x 14"...don't know why so many people refer to 5s as 5 1/2s...most Ludwigs, Slingerland, Gretsch, Rogers, etc are 5" or 6 1/2 ".

Posted on 17 years ago

Wow, a reply. Thanks Rich. It's not mint by any stretch, so I'll be passing.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here