Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Slingy Radio-King Repro Questions

Gang,

I'm building a Radio-King knock-off (yup, single-ply steambent maple) in dimensions 6.5 x 14 with a Black Pearl Wrap. I'm shooting for a mid-60s look, with the single-ended beavertails.

Don't want to try and pass this off as on "orginal" - otherwise I wouldn't be posting about it here! :) - but have a few questions.

1) I know that a lot of the older RK's used a "tone-control" (muffler) that had two pads on it - but by the mid-60s I think the RK used a single-pad muffler, right?

2) The old-style drums used the clamshell strainer/throw-off, but I'm thinking by the mid-60s they were using the three-point strainers, right? What new-style strainer/throw-off and butt-plate looks similar to the old three-point strainers? I know they make a reproduction Ludwig from that era, but I don't want to wrap the universe by putting a Luddy strainer on a Slingy build! :)

3) I've found some pretty good reproduction "stick chopper" hoops, does anybody make them with the "Radio King" engraving? I guess that could be verboten because of the copyright issues...

Thanks all - will post pics when it's done!

kestrou

Posted on 15 years ago

I built a Slingy knockoff from an older Slingerland shell that had no holes drilled at all. I used repro hardware and rims with a Dunnet throw and butt. It is one kick butt drum. The later models had the one pad muffler, not sure about the strainer. Good luck

Posted on 15 years ago

They had four different strainers in the early 60's

You should read through the Slingerland Section by DrCJW.

There is a strainer section that is very interesting..

I would find a Rapid Strainer. They are the cheapest and a nice simple design for the money. Easy to find on Ebay!

David

Posted on 15 years ago

A couple of thoughts...

You say you're using the beavertails, but the '60s drums had the sound king lugs...the beavertails are the lugs Slingerland used from the 1930 through the mid '50s. The sound kings lugs are the '60s style. Maybe that's what you meant...

The '60s Radio King model drums used the 3 pt...so a replica "radio King" would use that...there are repro 3 pts. available. I've heard of a place called "georges' drums" that have them.

The current available BDP pearl wraps have small "chunks" that look more like Ludwig, Rogers or Gretsch wrap...Slingerland's bdb had a different looking pattern. The closest is one that is called "charcoal", I think, but it has a purplish hue which doesn't look that correct. Some of the sparkles and glass glitters are closer to original '60s finishes.

Stick chopper hoops would be used on mid '50s or earlier drum...

The early '60s Slingerland would have the two pad muffler, the later '60s would have the j hook style...

I'd say, if you're making a custom drum, just go for the parts that you like best, and not try to be so accurate.

It might be cheaper to find an original Radio King than to replicate one.

Posted on 15 years ago

Coming from a guy who did this exact same thing a year ago, I'm going to agree with Rich K on buying a vintage one.

The repro I made was very nice, it sounds like an RK (an is just looks stunning), but is missing the vintage UMPH to the sound if you know what I mean. Your drum will sound similar, vintage tone but very modernized, it might not be what you are trying to do. Once the wood ages, the sound will grow more "vintage," but not everyone has that kind of time though like me.

Good luck.

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys - especially Rich K. :)

Still going to do a build - and by no means trying to pass mine off as original - but think I'll not be quite so picky on making it like like a particular time period.

I really do like the single-ended beavertails, so going that route - but using a new style strainer.

I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done - even though it will make some of the purists cringe at my bastardization of the genre! DOH

kestrou

Posted on 15 years ago

I think a lot of custom drums with references to the past look great. Look at all the folks that use tube lugs.

Check out this repro Leedy...'50s style drum with a '20 throw off. Very cool...

http://www.drumforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36784&p=372574&hilit=leedy+repro#p372574

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here