Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Slingy guys concert (?) snares-what to do?

Hi guys. Been off the radar in recent months lurking from time to time. With the southern PA humidity, I'm heading indoors and ready for a project. Would like to return these 2 snares to decent working/displaying order. Found in a back closet in a school where my daughter teaches music, I'd like to fix them up in a way to be displayed as vintage drums in the school's trophy cases.

Having steered me thru my first massive sling set rehab a year ago, I'm coming here firstly for any and all comments before I get started. Obvious questions: Zoomatic snare strainer or something else? What to do with wood finish (or what's left of it) and what era. I didn't do too good with the serial #. The badge on the other snare was cut off. Maybe safe to presume they were bought about the same time?

Always a pleasure to hear from you guys who want to take the time. So, lay it on me!!! Good or bad, say it all! Dean

Posted on 8 years ago

If you`re going to display them as vintage drums, they must be returned to the way they left the factory.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 8 years ago

Snare with black/gold badge and serial number 200xxx would be late 60's. This one appears to have the "chocolate milk" interior stain which would be correct for that era. It should have COB hoops. Probably a "rapid" strainer based on the butt plate. The screw hole spacing should be about 2-1/2".

The other snare appears to have remnants of a black/silver badge and a clear interior which would be 70 and later. Hoops will be COS. The lower hoop on this drum may not be original.

Additional pictures of the cut off badge and tone control knobs could be helpful.

Posted on 8 years ago

Cool snares! Noble project. I would retain the history of the the scratches/markings just clean/polish wax everything. Get the word out to former students. Could get some fun stories.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

+1 with Creighton.I would just do a clean and polish. The interior looks great on the '60s snare. If the other interior is just as nice these really don't need much. I've got a marching snare with that finish and love it.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Here are some additional pics, guys. Thanks to each of you for your input so far. For the shells, I'm going to give the clean and polish suggestion a try---but it's hard. I like the new and clean appearance. With my earlier Sling project with the once-over by my cabinet maker friend-the steel wool between several coats of poly treatment- sure looked good. Since I'm still a bit lame on lingo like you experienced Sling guys, can you attach a pic of the correct strainers for these? Also, will it be hard to find a 15 inch COB stick saver? What would be an appropriate replacement badge? They both have made in Taiwan snares to boot. What do think were the factory heads? Remo white coated Ambassadors? For display purposes, maybe a Remo clear batter would be good....

Doing this job gratis for the school-my out of pocket has to stay under control. Not in the rehab biz long enough to acquire a back shop worth of spare parts....

As always, if have the time to reply-I ready every word of every comment. I welcome it and thank you. Dean Help2

Posted on 8 years ago
Posted on 8 years ago

Cut off badge looks like '70-'78. '70-'72 if lettering is raised from background, '73-'78 if not raised. One of the experts may be able to narrow it down more based on the hex head fasteners, then you could get an appropriate serial number. I'm not going to comment on the shell damage other than it looks fairly significant.

Posted on 8 years ago

Hi Dean,

15" rims show up on eBay. Since for display don't spend the coin for org. snares. Original heads would have been stamped with the 70's oval Slingerland. Just get coated top and clear snare side with no stamps. Will PM why.

Understand bright and shinney, Here is a thread of one I did. Just take the shells with you to hardware/Woodcrafters store and get the sharpie type affair in lighter than shell stain to blend the chips/scratches in the finish.

Creighton

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=49918

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

Are you sure you are going to display BOTH of them? I'm constantly looking for 15 x 6.5 "Concert Kings"....

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here