Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Slingy Champagne Color Question

I'm aware that Champ wrap is silver & copper particles - My question is in regard to the name change (and other factors).

I read on the Slingy finish Vintage Drum Guide pages that "Pink" was part of the name [1960 > 1963] and then dropped from 1964 onward. - - It seems implied that this might have been due to confusion with the "Sparkling Pink Pearl" crushed glass wrap.

Obvious differences between them noted (color & sparkle material) -

Q: Was there a change in the color of the Champ wrap in tandem with the "dropped Pink" name change? Or is the color the same with only the word "Pink" being dropped? Jump For Joy

The reason I ask, (as a Champ owner), is that my drums *usually* do not look pink, except *maybe* in dim light. - - Also, under the lugs, the wrap is actually lighter and the exposed wrap has darkened a shade (perhaps understandable as the silver & copper could possibly darken - tarnish? - over time). My wrap is more Ginger Ale than Pink.

Since inquiring about these Champ drums when I first joined VDF, I have become more open to trying to see the pink in them, but eeeeehhhh..... I still don't know.

I guess the eyes are gettin' old :rolleyes:

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

As I understand it, the sparkling Pink champagne is indeed a pink champagne color, unlike champagne sparkle. Not the same color. Look at the swatches from the drum identification area. The pink champagne sparkle is pinker than the champagne sparkle shown on the swatch from about 5 years later.

Posted on 15 years ago

I have pink sparkle or "sparkling pink" as it has been referred. They are definitely pink, unlike champagne which is more sandy, hence the bermuda sand. Mine are from 1966.

Posted on 15 years ago

I think these drums demonstrate the difference between the two versions nicely. The bass drum and two toms are from '65, and are the darker, "sandier" color, while the snare is earlier, and has more pink in it. They're still somewhat close, but you can see the difference:

[IMG]http://www.classicvintagedrums.com/champ_sling_bop.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here