Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Slingy bass maintenance

The old '63 kick is in very good shape. The hoops, alas, are starting to look like they're 48 years old. What's the best paint for retouching worn areas? And what else should I worry about when I break the thing down?

Posted on 13 years ago

I repainted my Slingy wood hoops with back Rustoleum paint. Sanded them down first. That paint worked great. Post some pics if you can.

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 13 years ago

I just re-did the hoops on my 1959 Slingerland set, used Strip-X stripper to strip off the old paint using a toothbrush to loosen the gunk. Wiped off with paper towels, then gently went around the edges of the inlay channel with a flat blade screw driver to make sure I had clean edges. Then found a small tub of Duron fill & patch vinyl spackling in the garage that worked like a charm filling the dents & scratches from the pedals, etc. Let it dry, sanded lightly, then went over it with steel wool to make sure there were no little snags. Sprayed Krylon Gloss Black, let it dry, turned it over and sprayed again...let that dry, hit it with steel wool again the next day and then sprayed a second coat the same way. Let that dry and it's beautiful. I discovered that the steel wool after the first coat is the secret to getting a smooth finish. When you put on the second coat it is really nice and smooth. Kept a fan blowing on them for a day or 2 before gluing on new inlays & putting them back on the drums.

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here