Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

slingy bass drum 1950's what should i do?

alright i need advise. in the past i got alot of help from the forum members......thank yall very much. i learned alot of good info on my bass, but now i dont know what to do.

what would yall do? 22"x14" i am pretty sure it is a single ply maple

i have a bass that needs alot of work, parts maybe a wrap and then tom's. i dont know if i should sell it or keep it. i really dont need it, i have alot of other stuff i am trying to fix and i hear this bass is a cool bass but i dont know if it is worth fixing. i dont know what it is worth and how much it will cost to fix it. what should i do?

should i just build the bass and sell it?

should i just sell it, "as is"

should i make a set out of it and invest the money?

what would you pay for it, as is and if it was rebuilt?

Posted on 14 years ago

This is an easy one....... if you want it as a collectors piece, you get to go crazy finding all original stuff for it... ugh. If you want to just play it, find some compatible rods and hoops, pop some heads on and PLAY!

The shell isn't going to care much about the rods and hoops... sound wise anyway. As a players drum, it'd be great. As a collector piece, you got some serious work on your hands.

Posted on 14 years ago

^^^ I agree with this.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

That drum looks to be 3-ply mahogany-poplar-mahogany to me.

Check in the Wood Shells section of the Slingerland site in the Drum Guide.

Slingerland didn't make solid shelled bass drums except very early on... '28 to '33, and those were either mahogany or walnut. Yours is from '56-'63. This is from Dr C.J. Wenk's articles on Slingerland in the Drum Guide.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Skin it and play it. You will love the tone on that one. It's gonna sound ... SWEEET. If and when you feel like it down the road, you can make a kit out of it. But, think of all the cool gigs and sessions it will have given you in the meantime. Those Slingerland basses are very special. You need to live with one at least once in your life.

Posted on 14 years ago

thats what everyone is telling me. i need to keep it. i like it and i want to get it back to original but its tough finding all the parts and expensive. i have some other prodjects i am working and i want this to be one of them i found a guy with a tom around the same year. he had for sale on craigslist california for 20 bucks i wrote him and told him i wanted and he told me no he was'nt going to ship it. i was pretty mad.

i have hoops and acouple of rods and heads but i want to wrap it and play it.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here