Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Slingerland Zoomatic Extended Butt Repair

I recently picked up a Slingerland 10 lug COB Sound King snare. The extended butt is missing the crossbar piece as illustrated in the first picture. I have seen these butts online and they sometimes have had the crossbar/tube affixed with long rivet and other times with a slotted screw which appears to thread into one of the prongs of the butt and still others which use a screw and nut (I assume the ones with nuts are repaired units).

I would think that I should be able to find some steel tube and a screw to fix this right up. Have any of you done this repair? Anyone know the proper diameter tubing and size of screw required for this repair?

Thanks

Posted on 6 years ago

You could try these from McMaster Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/124/3363/=1cbq0bg

Threaded tubes.

Get the right length. Long enough.

Cut to fit between plates and screw in from both sides.

Make sure there are enough threads left at end for screw when you cut.

Some tubes have threads all the way through.

Stainless steel would be good. 8-32 threads.

2 stainless 8-32 pan head screws for the ends.

I think 1/4" OD tube is the smallest they have.

Yours looks like 3/16".

I think 1/4" would work fine.

Link did not work. Look for these.

Threaded Standoffs, Caps & Pillar Posts

Female Threaded Round Standoffs

Fully Threaded

Partially Threaded

Use standoffs to position components in assemblies, as well as to separate or connect parts.

18-8 stainless steel standoffs have good corrosion resistance and may be mildly magnetic.

Zinc-plated steel standoffs provide some corrosion resistance.

Aluminum standoffs are lightweight, nonmagnetic, and mildly corrosion resistant. Material can vary between 6061 and 2011 aluminum.

Zinc-plated brass standoffs are electrically conductive, nonmagnetic, and have a corrosion-resistant finish.

Nylon standoffs have excellent wear and abrasion resistance and also offer resistance to chemicals and solvents (except mineral acids). Exposure to moisture may cause them to expand.

OR, just get a piece of stainless tubing and a screw long enough to go all the way through tube to the threads on the butt plate.

Good luck.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 6 years ago

From cericd

I recently picked up a Slingerland 10 lug COB Sound King snare. The extended butt is missing the crossbar piece as illustrated in the first picture. I have seen these butts online and they sometimes have had the crossbar/tube affixed with long rivet and other times with a slotted screw which appears to thread into one of the prongs of the butt and still others which use a screw and nut (I assume the ones with nuts are repaired units).I would think that I should be able to find some steel tube and a screw to fix this right up. Have any of you done this repair? Anyone know the proper diameter tubing and size of screw required for this repair?Thanks

It would be kinda like a belt buckle repair. Only larger scale.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 6 years ago

From OddBall

It would be kinda like a belt buckle repair. Only larger scale.

Hmmm... I see what your sayin’. Never done that before either. Lol.

Posted on 6 years ago

Hey green glass drum, thanks for the info. I’m going to look into those standoffs.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here