Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Slingerland Vintage 1920's era Snare Drum????

Hello To All~ Help

I am writing today in hopes of some information regarding an old Slingerland Snare Drum.

My husband and I were at a local second hand store and he came accross an old drum. He approached me with it in his hand and said, "Honey, look at this!" I glanced over and said, "What are you going to do with that?" He said, "Buy it, give it a good cleaning, and resell it on eBay." I said, "How much do they want for it?" He reluctantly said, "$20 bucks." He's been a drummer for the past 30 years so he knows a bit about what he's looking at. However, I, on the other hand... didn't think much of it! As if he needed my "ok", I gave it to him, he bought it, and we brought it home.

Immediately he logged onto eBay and started searching for something remotely close to this drum. He found a couple of vintage Ludwig drums and some hardware that dated back to the 1930's, but nothing of exact replica.

I then decided to help him out. I started searching for websites relating to Slingerland products etc. and I came across your website. I clicked on the "View Drum Badges" title and low and behold there it was... the exact badge on this drum! Cloud Badge from the mid 1928's-1941 (Chicago, IL). Lacquered brass background with black filling lettering. I furthered my research and found that this drum was primarily used in marching bands and on juvinile lines. From what I understand this badge did not appear during 1942-1945.

I don't know how much of what I found to be true but I am rather intrigued about it! I then started searching for information about the skins, hardware and shell. I couldn't find much!

If you could help me with information about it... that would be greatly appreciated! My husband started taking the drum apart and I freaked! "What are you doing?", I exclaimed! He said, "Relax, I know what I'm doing! I'm taking the head off to measure the drum." I said, "But you weren't born in the 20's, your mother wasn't even born in the 20's!!" He just started laughing at me! He told me to take pictures of the inside while he had the head off, and I did. The measurements are 6 1/2" x 14". It has 6 lugs. I believe the shell is made of maple wood and is is great condition! It has two, minimal dings on it, other than that it's excellent! The hardware is a little aged but with a good cleaning, it buffs and shines right up! The actual skins are stamped with the Slingerland logo. The top skin says, "SLINGERLAND SUPERTONE *CALF*" and the bottom, "SLINGERLAND SENSITONE *CALF*." Both heads are in great condition and I believe them to be the original heads. There are some use marks on the top head, from being played at one time, but nothing of any damage! The bottom head looks a lot thinner than the top. It shows more wear than the top, but no holes or tears! The strainer (I believe that's what it's called) is in working condition, a little dirty, but nothing that won't come clean with a little elbow grease ;o)

I've taken pictures of the drum, inside and out and I have attached them to this inquiry. Please let me know if you have any information about it... (age, worth, history, etc. etc.)... for any information is good information!

I think that once my husband finds out how much this drum is worth he may end up holding onto it, rather than selling it.

Keep in mind that the pictures I've attached are of the drum BEFORE any cleaning has been done to it. My husband already has the drum apart and the hardware is shining up nicely! Wow! I will submit more pic's after it has been cleaned if you'd like to see it. Just let me know.

Thank You!

Jenifer

[Attachment: 2430]

[Attachment: 2432]

[Attachment: 2433]

[Attachment: 2434]

[Attachment: 2438]

Posted on 17 years ago

Hello~

Does anyone have any information regarding this drum? I would really appreciate it if you do. If you have any questions that I may be able to answer, please let me know. I usually respond within the same day!

Thanks soooo Much!

Jenifer

Posted on 16 years ago

You seem to have found out quite a bit...looks like a 1930s student or mid level 6.5 x 14" drum in real nice condition. That throw off was used on the lower end drums. The size (6.5") increases the value a bit (over a 5") as does the condition. The 6 lug model brings down the value quite a bit.

I'm guessing, listed nicely on ebay, the drum would probably bring $200-325.

The next drum up in the Slingerland line of the era, and I'm too lazy to double check my catalogs, would be the 8 lug model with the "3 point" throw off...a 6.5" in real nice condition would bring $450-650.

The top of the line, "Artist" models could bring in over $1000, depending on specifics like the finish.

I recently saw a top TOP of the line from this era..a Duall in black wrap with gold hardware go for reportedly over $10 K.

Posted on 16 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Jenifer:

Yes, this is an absolutely wonderful Slingerland Model 146 Universal, made some time from late 1939 ? late 1941. As Rich points out it was a quality economy model, making it attractive as a workhorse in the school market.

We know the date period quite precisely because of the following. Prior to the fall of 1939 Slingerland did not offer this model in a 6? inch size. And when the war began in December 1941 Slingerland stopped making the Universal altogether, not picking it up after the war. Shown below is a clip from the introduction of the 6? x14 model in late 1939.

Your drum looks to be completely original from the period, including the Slingerland Supertone and Sensitone calf heads and the wire-would silk snares. This is a vintage treasure, and the best thing you could do to maintain its value is not touch or change anything other than a very light non-invasive dusting and cleaning with some safe Martin?s Guitar cleaner for lacquered wood. Your Sure Grip strainer handle is bent, but be careful ? it might be best to leave it that way and not risk fatigue on the old metal by bending it back. Also for fun you might check your shell ? Slingerland advertised it as solid mahogany but they also made it with a 2-ply shell, thick inner ply of mahogany with a very thin outer veneer.

Congratulations on finding a piece of Slingerland treasure!

DrCJW[/COLOR]

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/drcjw/articles.html

Posted on 16 years ago

Thank you to Rich K. and DrCJW for your information about this drum!! I appreciate your efforts. I think this drum is exactly what you stated about it being made 2-ply. If you look inside the drum you can see the wood in 2 layers. Does this depreciate it's value any? Just curious...?

If anyone may be interested in purchasing this drum, please let me know. I believe this drum would be better fulfilled in the hands of a collector. Maybe someone has other pieces of it's kind.

My husband did buff it up, gently, and it looks really good! I don't see where the Sure Grip strainer handle is bent. But maybe that's because I don't know what I'm looking at?!

Thank you!

Jenifer

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here