Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Slingerland tom ply separation

Hi- I have a 1966 Slingerland 12" tom with some ply separation begining.Looks

like hide glue is letting go. Will Titebond type I work to glue and then clamp?

Posted on 14 years ago

Ben, that will work perfectly,and while your at it check the rest of the shells, this is very common problem on old drums, by the way. good luck!Yes Sir

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

There has been a lot of debate on the subject of glue adhering to glue. From what I have read, a glue like gorilla glue or similar works better, the yellow glues will eventually fail.

Posted on 14 years ago

I would actually say the opposite. Gorilla glue is actually a pretty poor quality glue. As far as glue bonding to older glue, not so sure, but I've had good experience with the Tite bond on re-rings. Here's a pretty good article comparing glues:

http://www.titebond.com/Download/pdf/HowStrongisYourGlue_FWW.pdf

Posted on 14 years ago

From lucky

There has been a lot of debate on the subject of glue adhering to glue. From what I have read, a glue like gorilla glue or similar works better, the yellow glues will eventually fail.

In my experience when the plies have seperated the glue is dry rotten and gone fallen out, so all my glue experiences have been of this type and i've gotten very good glue bonding,Their are two school's of thought here, I personally like elmers wood glue, which is close to the original hide glue used, the new glue types gorillia etc are a synthetic base, yes they will probably last longer, but i have drums i repaired over 20 years ago and they are still good to go, and by the time they will need to be repaired again i'll probably be in diapers in a home some where!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, that was a good article. I am not debating the strength of the glues, I am just debating the bonding of new glue to old glue. There was an extensive study done by a boat builder on this topic and what he found was that for future repairs, the best glue was a polyurethane. And when making repairs on an old joint, the glue that worked the best was a poly.

Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

Ben, that will work perfectly,and while your at it check the rest of the shells, this is very common problem on old drums, by the way. good luck!Yes Sir

Thank You vintagemore2000 for the quick reponse.

Posted on 14 years ago

Ben20, you very welcome, also by the other forum members sharing their opinion's and experiences, you will get a better over view,their is a thread on here debating vintage vs new drums what are the differences etc, and glue was and is a big part of that debate, since were dealing with plywood here, so anyway good luck let us know how it turns out,

Posted on 14 years ago

I believe Elmers also makes a liquid hyde glue if you want keep it original

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here