Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Slingerland TDR marching conversion.

Hi folks,

I recently picked up a 14" X 12" Slingerland TDR marching snare for a very sweet price. Half of the lugs were cracked, probably caused by being under high tension for a longer period. The ones that are not broken yet are all showing cracking in the chrome. The rest of the drum is in very nice condition which is the most important as it was always the plan to cut the shell and make a 6.5" "Spitfire" kind of model.

As you can see in the pictures, the work is in good progress.

- Shell was cut to 6,5". (I used the bottom part to keep the holes for strainer/butt end and snare beds).

- 3 air-vent holes were plugged

- New bearing edge was cut.

- The inside shell was sanded and new varnish applied.

In the mean time, the shell was wrapped in Delmar Turquoise glitter. (work is just finished, daylight pictures follow tomorrow,... looks smashing !!!)

Regarding the snare wires, I definitely want to give the gut snares a try but I also want to have the possibility to play the drum with regular metal snare wires,... any suggestions which snares to use and how to convert the butt end?

Thanks.

5 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

some more pics,...

5 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

On the S/L TDR marching snare's the butt you have is for the gut snare's.But S/L also made the same TDR butt that was used on the Buddy Rich model snare.So thats what you need to change out then you could used snare wire's set-up.Also on these butt's S/L made them for a 5.5 and 6.5 deep snare drums same butt but the one for the 6.5 deep snare in longer.I have the butt that you need P/M with your email i will send a photo to you.Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks Mike,... pm on its way.

As promised, here some pictures of the wrapped shell.

Hope you all like it.

In the meantime, I'm anxiously waiting for the 12 lugs and muffler to arrive.

2 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

stedi,

Looks good. I like it when someone experiments like this. Please keep this thread updated.

I've got several 12x16 Slingerland TDR drums. Like yours, a good share of the high-tension lugs were broken. But, you've given me some food-for-thought as to what I may do with some of them...

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Stedi, nice job on that conversion. I even like the wrap although I'm curious to know if it is going to a kit with the same wrap or did you just like the color of the wrap. also, what kind of lugs are you going with? . . .James

Posted on 12 years ago

This is like destiny, whoa. First post !! Hello everybody.

I was going to log in finally to start a TDR resto thread, which I probably should do. I can't believe you cut that beautiful drum. :) Seems to be going very well !! Look forward to more pics and maybe a vid to hear the sound.

I have 2 TDRs 15". One is a 10 lug and one is a 12, both chrome. The 12 lug needs tension rods and heads. Trying to find out the typical length of the rods without backing out some off the 10. I have learned my lesson to not remove old heads if possible.

Otherwise just steel wool, cleaning agent, sandpaper questions .... I might not be able to start a thread yet. )) It's finally coming together, mentally, and I just wanna say what an inspiration you guys are. Wow !!

TDR pic

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments guys,...

I guess it's always a shame to destroy a 30+ years old instrument. On the other hand it's a way to give this drum a second life where otherwise it would have been stored in a basement for the rest of its days. Marching bands and parades are not exactly a big thing over here in Belgium.

For the lugs I choose the regular Slingerland Sound king double ended ones. I've ordered them through a forum member.

I went for the Turquoise Glitter because I like the color and the vintage feel to it. This will never be a "historically correct" or collector's instrument anymore so why not go for a "special" finish. I was doubting between turquoise or pink.

I don't have a matching kit but never say never. I have a 1960s' Ludwig Club Date combo waiting to be re-wrapped,...

Posted on 12 years ago

I think it's the best re-wrap I've ever seen. It's brilliant.

Won't be doing any parades w the TDR. ;)

Kit pic

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the kind words,...

Yesterday I finally received the lugs and muffler, I hope you all like the result.

I've worked out a cheap and easy solution to switch between gut and regular metal snare wires.

Once tuned properly, the drum sounds wonderful.

I do prefer the Puresounds.

I probably could need some advice on the gut snares. The sound is OK but a bit to dry and short to my liking. I would also love to try it with extended snare wires,... all suggestions or input is highly appreciated.

Stef

5 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here