Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Slingerland Super Gene Krupa Restoration

Found this abomination in our local junior high school. Looks like someone had disassembled and stripped whatever wrap was on it and “refinished” it. Someone replaced the rims, tension screws and re-drilled for a MIJ strainer and butt plate as I am sure the original clamshell strainer died the first time a middle schooler laid his hands on it (or it was broken before it got donated to the school). Long story short, I fixed a few other drums and traded some equipment to them in exchange for this and another drum which I will detail in another post on here.

Judging by the serial number and the model of the drum I think it could be from the last year they made them in 1962. I am fairly confident it is the solid maple shell and it is in pretty good condition. Still has the original tone control and lug casings.

My plan is to fill the drilled holes and fix the minor re-ring separation, wrap it in Jammin’ Sam’s Champagne sparkle, get new stick saver rims, tension rods and Gibraltar Slingerland 3-point strainer from DFD and slap it all together.

Any suggestions before I start spending money on it?

Posted on 8 years ago

More pictures that show the tone control, shell and extra holes.

Posted on 8 years ago

Very interesting. Are you sure this is a solid shell? Niles Badge and serial number indicate about '65-'66. Very few solid shells after early '65. Also, the layout of this drum looks to have originally been badge, throw off (now two holes and butt plate), tone control. I believe this layout was used '55 to late '60 when solid shells were more common. Possible the badge is not original? Also possible this drum was originally lacquered. What is the drum size? 14 x 5-1/2?.

Posted on 8 years ago

Drum is 5.5 x 14. I have no idea if the badge was original to the drum or not. The grommet was definitely taken off and reused. I will attach detailed pictures of the shell and bearing edges to help identify the solid vs 3 ply. Seems like a single ply maple to me but I could use your knowledge to confirm it. Thank you!

Posted on 8 years ago

It sure looks like 1 ply to me. I was wondering how tight your heads fit on there. If the drum was originally lacquered, like Slingerfan was asking, will heads fit once rewrapped?

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 8 years ago

Hard to describe but look for a unique pattern in the grain see if close appears on the other side.

Easy check how many plies is your camera on phone device. Don't need to take a photo just use the zoom.

Heads won't fit over a re-wrap on the laquered/natural shells. Believe the workaround is to trim the wrap back from the bearing edge.

Looks 1 ply to me. Badge groment is a mess so who knows there :-)

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

Sure looks 1-ply in bearing edge pictures. 3-ply would be thin, thick, thin. Check closely with a magnifier. If you post some pictures of the original strainer and butt plate mounting holes it may be possible to zero in on a year. For example, if the holes are consistent with a "clamshell" strainer, then the drum is '62 or earlier.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks everyone! Here are the pics of the mounting holes.

Posted on 8 years ago

Yes, it looks like this drum had the clamshell strainer. The single large hole and the two small holes below it that forms a triangle. Same pattern for throw off and butt end as both sides were adjustable. Clamshell strainer makes drum '62 or earlier. Dual muffler is pre '62 also. Safe to say badge does not belong to this drum as it is post '62 with serial number. Hardware layout of badge, strainer, tone control, points to '55-late '60. Drum size and single ply is consistent with the Super Gene Krupa model. This drum is worthy of a full restoration including clamshell strainer, COB stick savers and correct Chicago badge. As others have stated, head fit should tell you if this was originally lacquered or wrapped. I'm leaning towards originally wrapped due to the rough exterior seam. Nice find, good luck.

Posted on 8 years ago

I'm getting ready to purchase wrap for this drum, however, I am really struggling to settle on what finish to get and also what method of applying to use. I have heard the debate both ways on taping vs gluing. Keep in mind this is my first wrap project. I guess what I am asking is:

What finish would you choose? (sparkle, pearl... etc.)

What method would you use to apply it? (tape, glue... etc.)

Thanks for the input!

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here