Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Slingerland strainer

This is a 1958 or 59 Slingerland concert king drum 7x15" I recently picked up. Im doing an extensive restore on this drum and will need a strainer. The original strainer was probably called a radio king strainer, I need a strainer to replace the one that came with the drum. If anyone has a Slingerland strainer that will work please let me know. I dont think a zoomatic strainer would be correct but not out of the question.

1 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 7 years ago

How many holes and what is the pattern shape look like of the holes?

Posted on 7 years ago

From 2manydrums

How many holes and what is the pattern shape look like of the holes?

Well, I will be re-building the area where the strainer mounts with new plys of poplar and mahogany so all of the old nasty holes will be gone. So I can really use any strainer, a period correct strainer is my first thought but I want it to work easy too, so maybe a zoomatic? I have never used a Radio King strainer or "three point strainer" are these any good?

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 7 years ago

The Radio King three-point strainer would be correct, but possibly quite expensive.

That's what my Concert King from '59 has installed.

if you don't go towards that, I would think a Rapid Strainer would be the next appropriate choice....also the darn Zoomatics are pretty finicky, though having a very "Retro-Matic" eye appeal....:)

BTW, mine is an 8x15.....perhaps yours is too...?

Here's a pic of mine....

1 attachments
Kevin
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks Kevin,

My drum shell is 7 x 15. You have a nice one, how do you like it?

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 7 years ago

Jeff,

Gibraltar offers a 3-point strainer, which you can see here... https://www.interstatemusic.com/918704-Gibraltar-Vintage-Style-Throw-Off-SCGVSTO.aspx?sku=PA273GVSTO&source=Google+Base_CASCIO&source=Google+Base_Cascio&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=gbase&gclid=CPCMvKKazdMCFQxofgodwd4Bgw

I also have a very nice Zoomatic that I repaired with the use of the large tone control knob. It won't come off! I'm currently not at home, so can't attach pictures. Let me know if you're interested.

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

From idrum4fun

Jeff,Gibraltar offers a 3-point strainer, which you can see here... https://www.interstatemusic.com/918704-Gibraltar-Vintage-Style-Throw-Off-SCGVSTO.aspx?sku=PA273GVSTO&source=Google+Base_CASCIO&source=Google+Base_Cascio&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=gbase&gclid=CPCMvKKazdMCFQxofgodwd4BgwI also have a very nice Zoomatic that I repaired with the use of the large tone control knob. It won't come off! I'm currently not at home, so can't attach pictures. Let me know if you're interested.-Mark

Mark, thanks for the tip, I never considered a new one. That one would be perfect, thanks! Think I will go with the new one.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 7 years ago

From jccabinets

Mark, thanks for the tip, I never considered a new one. That one would be perfect, thanks! Think I will go with the new one.

I think it will look great on your drum! While looking very vintage, it uses drum key bolts for the snare string/tape. Looking forward to your completed drum! May we all assume that the shell will receive a beautiful outer veneer?!!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks Mark I agree 100%

Yes, new veneer. The original mahogany exterior ply is gone, I stripped it off. I am thinking about replacing part of the center poplar ply as well as a section of the inside ply. Might be more work than what the drum is worth but what the hay.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 7 years ago

From jccabinets

Thanks Mark I agree 100%Yes, new veneer. The original mahogany exterior ply is gone, I stripped it off. I am thinking about replacing part of the center poplar ply as well as a section of the inside ply. Might be more work than what the drum is worth but what the hay.

Jeff!

We've all had our projects that we question whether it is/was worth it. However, it's the final result that matters! And, I've learned my lesson to NEVER add up what it costs! So, yeah, "what the hay"! LOL

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here