Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Slingerland spur screws

Hi vintage drum folks. I have a 70's Slingerland kit where some of the screws for the spur mounts have stripped out. I can't seem to figure out what the correct screws to replace these is. Anyone know?

Posted on 11 years ago

Hi, and Welcome

Are you sure that its the screws that are stripped? , as generally it is the thread inside of the lug that wears down..

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

Member longjohn replied to your question with the following:

"Are you sure that its the screws that are stripped? , as generally it is the thread inside of the lug that wears down..."

His answer is correct: It's sad but Slingerland's 1970's castings have a bad habit - their female threading strips out all too easily. The reason for this being too fine a thread size chosen for high stress with a casting of inadequate quality metal.

If memory serves me the thread size for those castings and wingscrews is 5/16 - 24". Inserting a helicoil device might be your best option with these castings - otherwise you'll have to enlarge the hole quite a bit in order to use the next larger size wingscrew adequate for the task. Good luck with it!

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the replies folks. Pretty sure it's the screws, you can see where the threads on the ends are basically peeling off like a slinky! I'm working with the screws that attach the mount to the shell, not the wing screw that tightens up the spur.

Posted on 11 years ago

Hmm, on closer examination I'm not certain that it's the screws, at least not all of them. In any case, I'd like to know the right size. They almost look tapered if there is such a thing...?

Posted on 11 years ago

Well unfortunately it's the same deal with those screws too.. the "Slinkys" will turn out to be scraps from the female thread of the casting..

I always hit those screws with WD40 about an hour before removal and apply minimal pressure with the driver/wrench .. they are very easy to strip the threads.

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

Bawoo -

The thread size for the screws which attach the spur castings to the bass drum is 10-32". If you're finding metal peeled off around the actual screws themselves then the casting threads are stripped.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here