Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Slingerland spur advice needed

Never had this problem with my Ludwigs or my Pearl, but my bass drum keeps slipping on my rug. The spurs on my other drums were of the type that mounted to the outside of the shell, went out at an angle, then almost straight down to where the spikes ended in the rug. These on my new Slingerlands, as you can see in the photos, just come straight out at about a 45 degree angle. The tips are pointy, not super sharp, but I think the problem is that they are at such an angle that they mainly rest on the shoulder of the point, not on the point itself. I hate to modify the original spurs, but I would be open to alternative designs. Does anyone know of an easy fix? My pedal has spikes in the floorplate, but this doesn't seem to solve the problem. I'm not a very heavy slugger, but I have to reposition the silly thing after every third or fourth tune.

3 attachments
Slingerland Zildjian Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

LudwigVan66!...

Don't modify the spurs... they should be left as original. So, what can you do then? I gig on ALL vintage drums... primarily Rogers, and what I have done with all of them is take some Velcro, in this case the "rough" half, and apply that to the BASE of my bass drum pedal. You can use just a strip... or cover the entire base if you wish, and it will work with ANY brand and/or year bass drum pedal. Now, what that does is:

When you set up your Slingerland's on your rug... ( and I guess I'm assuming that you use a rug! ) ... the Velcro on the bottom of your bass drum pedal base becomes your ANCHOR. Absolutely NO CREEP... period. I don't care for the vintage hoop mounted anti' skid devices either as they can and do mar the hoop over time... and more importantly, they don't hold anywhere near as well as this Velcro trick. As an added bonus, the Velcro is completely... invisable! I have never had a problem with creep using this method... and it will work even if you ARE a slugger!!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

I bought a used DW pedal that has velcro under the base and it works well

My Roland V kit also came with velcro on the bottom of the bass drum stand....

Posted on 16 years ago

Put some industrial strength velcro on the bottom of the kick plate at lunch. Plan on trying it out tonight. I'll let you know how it goes!

Slingerland Zildjian Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here