Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Slingerland snared I.D. help

Hello and Greetings to all of you:

I'm in need of some help in identifying the year and model of a Slingerland snare drum.

Here's what I know.

1. Wood shell-possibly 3 ply (Maple, Poplar, Mahogany)

2. Blue and Silver Antique Duco finish

3. Pre WWII Cloud Badge (lettering recessed)

4. 14" x 7"

5. Natural mahogany finish inside

6. 16 small beavertail lugs with nickel on brass hoops (no rim clips)

"Slingerland radio King" engraved on batter hoop.

7. Appears to have originally been drilled for a calmshell strainer-no evidence of holes for Radio King "brackets."

8. Pre 1942 muffler- 2 cup washers-red felt

Looking at pages 185-186-187 of Rob Cook's the Slingerland book- I've narrowed it down to: 1. Buddy Rich Artist Model Radio King Swingster 1940- 41.

2. Super Gene Krupa Radio King-although it's not a solid maple shell.

3. possibly Hollywood Ace Swing model Radio King 1939-1954

4. or Student Model Radio King-although the engraved hoops and beavertail lugs don't add up?

I've tried to use the forums image resizer to no avail. Will try and post a pic or two later if possible.

Thanks for any info, it is much appreciated. Help2

Rhythm

Posted on 16 years ago

Have you looked at this page of the web site?

Slingerland Snare Drums

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks david: I have seen most of those pics, appreciate the link. My drum appears to be a match for Gene Krupa Super Radio King #193. I was under the impression that all Krupa Radio Kings were always solid shell and mine is 3 ply?

I'll have to get a pic attached soon, still can't get the image adjust to work on this site. I choose my pic from desktop file and download, type in "600" as prompted, but still keep getting "fatal error."

More investigative work, I suppose. :confused:

Thanks,

J.

Posted on 16 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]rhythm:

While by far most Super Krupas were made with a solid maple shell, Slingerland sometimes used a 3-ply shell as well. It's cool when you find one. The story here I am going to save for another time...

But we really would need to see pics of your drum to positively ID it, particularly the factory strainer holes to be sure you have an original clamshell pattern. You have no Radio King bracket holes - but just to be sure, there are also no 3-point strainer holes - correct?

Also, just to be clear - the cloud badge lettering is recessed and tan enamel filled after the war - the letters are raised and clear brass before the war.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here