Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Slingerland Snare

Hi, I have added a vintage Slingerland snare to my collection ( now my collection totals 1 snare). I have a question about tension rods. I put an Aquarien ( I cant spell) head to the batter side, and the lugs barley reach. There is a difference in distantance between the lug and the hoop on the batter side and the snare side. The snare is a single ply maple with the engraved brass oval badge and WMP finish. The Dr. dates it at 50-53, but a book that a friend of mine at Guitar Center has, dates the badge at 40-49. Either way, its a fantastic item in near mint condition. I will post some pics when I can. So my question is, do I need longer tension rods on the batter side, or is the head to blame? The tension rods only bite for about three turns on the batter side.

Posted on 18 years ago

I'm no expert on vintage drums, but ...... I do have a few vintage snares and have encountered the same thing you have as far as the head goes. First check to make sure the shell is not out of round and second you may want to check and make sure the bearing edge is actually touching the head. I have found that the older snare drums ( or any older drum for that matter ) may not be 100% round, which will cause the head to sit up higher than normal. I have also run into drums with wraps and painted finishes that are thicker than todays drums. You may have to "help" the head slide onto the drum correctly. Also make sure the head ring is not ALOT thicker than the one you took off, and that the ring itself is not bent. I'm sure someone here can definately help you out much better than I, but that is what I have encountered. Maybe this helps ..... maybe not. Good Luck either way.

Posted on 18 years ago

oh by the way ................ Aquarian heads generally take a good 2 weeks of play time to fully stretch and conform to your drums bearing edge.

Posted on 18 years ago

My experience has been that Aquarian heads do indeed have slightly smaller diameters - I can't put them on my 5-ply Slingys - they won't seat correctly.

Posted on 18 years ago

Excuse me for barging in on this post, but I just thought I'd share my experience with the older drums. (Since 1985, I've been playing Radio Kings.)

I think the post-1985 drums are smaller diameter. I noticed this when I got the Radio Kings and played some other vintage drums. The (Remo Diplomat) heads I use all fit a little "snug" on the drum... Not "tight", but they don't just "drop on", like modern drums.

Just an opinion here, but...

I think modern drum manufacturers making drums out of birch plywood do this to get more resonance from the head... kind of a "mini-tympani" effect, which I don't like the sound of. When you have fewer and thicker plies, and they're maple, the shell itself has plenty of power, and with a nice warm tone. Your experience may vary, but that's mine.

Just comparing notes... Interesting.

Support live art!
Mike James
http://www.mikejamesjazz.com
Posted on 18 years ago

Try the Auarian American Vintage heads...they're made a little oversized. ANd never listen to anyone at the "Center" regarding correct information on vintage drums!

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here